It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 10:14

Text Size

"Ancient Times" - New RPG Project

Discuss anything concerning this site and its contents

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

"Ancient Times" - New RPG Project

Postby Draggamor » 16 Oct 2017, 18:27

Hello guys!

First of all, forgive me if this is not the right place for this announcement, but since this is mostly a community of gamers, I thought it would be appropriate.

So that's it, as the title says, a project I have for a new MMORPG I've long been working on, and I'm looking for people in several areas of interest, interested in joining it.

Most of all programmers, yes, but in several areas, from 3D animation to account management, but not only that; translators, graphic designers, web designers (for the site) and much more.

Before some of you ask, I'll say, it'll be in part FTP with most of the basic stuff open to play, and with some stuff available only in Premium accounts. Do you think is it doable? Can we fight the gaming market of the big companies?

The name of the project is, as far as the idea got me: Ancient Times, but it's open to suggestions, for a later change, if the contents also change (not just because it was the first name I thought of, but it's what I think it fits best due to the main idea).

I already have many stuff concerning the whole game structure. I'm currently working on fonts for the fantasy races (elves, dwarves, etc).

Please feel free to ask about more details if you're interested, of shut me up if this is fact, NOT the best place to advertise my idea. Hey, forgive me, I just have to try.
Draggamor

Re: New RPG Project

Postby Huggybaby » 17 Oct 2017, 21:44

This is the best forum.

Good luck!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Re: "Ancient Times" - New RPG Project

Postby Draggamor » 22 Oct 2017, 13:25

Thanks for the post upgrade Huggybaby!

Now friends, anyone knows a way to start a free website where one can personalize it as if it is a domain?

I need to show you all, anything to start convincing you to join in!

I already searched the web but couldn't find anything to my liking.

The slogan is: the game you can play anyway you like!

Cheers!
Draggamor

Postby werkbau » 22 Oct 2017, 21:34

I hate to be that guy, but this is preposterous.

So basically you want to make a game in a genre that even AAA companies -with hundreds of professionals on payroll- struggle to do right; has very high maintenance costs after deployment (servers aren't cheap); has the most chances of being abused by players (which WILL break your design); uses polygonal assets (which, while technically more cost-effective than 2D assets, are far more difficult to get to look right, specially as standards rise over time, not to mention the extra math involved); and you are looking for people to do the heavy lifting while you sit back and give them orders?

And, you are involving money. I assume you are ready to pay those developers and artists, right? Because anyone who can do that type of code or asset creation at a steady rate is normally beyond "hobbyist" level. Where's your portfolio? Who can vouch for your leadership and management abilities? Where are the design documents and concept art to get people on board? What's your marketing strategy? What's your target audience? What do you have to offer that any generic tolkien-ripoff korean MMO doesn't? The moment you involve money it's not a project for fun anymore, it's a product. And it will be treated as such.

Or, you thought you could just summon a bunch of people, have them work for free for a good 1-2 years under the promise of "it'll make money when it's released", or, you expected to not even pay them at all while you pocket all that freemium money because "you own the idea"? No one works "for the art" anymore, it's 2017. Ideas a dime a dozen, only execution matters.

Why am I being blunt? Because I heard this same story a good hundred of times. You can follow your dreams, but there is a thing such as pipe dreams.
werkbau

Postby Huggybaby » 22 Oct 2017, 21:43

werkbau,

Draggamor is asking for some help. I see no cause for an attack. And never assume.
I politely offer that you can make your points another way.

Thanks,

HB
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Draggamor » 23 Oct 2017, 15:04

Well put werkbau!

Well, at least the part where you were blunt. Now, no kidding, you are absolutely right to bring up those points, and I'm well aware of them, but HuggyBaby is also right. You could very well bring them up in a more politely way.

First of all, I didn't make any promises whatsoever. As said, I just asked if someone was interested in joining my path. I very well know its a next to impossible one, but who knows, maybe there's someone out there crazy enough not afraid to lose some time.

By showing such aggressiveness as you did, I guess that can only mean one thing, at some time in your life you were wronged in a similar way. Well, sorry for that, but you don't know me enough to accuse me of such things.

Plus, apart from what the project needs in terms of things to make it true, first, I would like to start a brainstorm of ideas to add or perfect the one I have, in general.

Cheers!
Draggamor

Postby Alterus » 23 Oct 2017, 15:17

Looking forward to the fulfillment of your ideas. But honestly, you'll have a hard time finding something to offer to your audience that the other MMORPGs don't, and you won't be able to compete with WoW, FFXV etc.

If this becomes an interesting project, I will be able to translate it into Russian.
Alterus

Postby Draggamor » 23 Oct 2017, 20:30

Right now that is already something positive! You're very welcome.

Something that other MMORPG's don't have... Well, I don't know all the games there are out there. For example, is there any game where you have a cook character that sells food to other players?
Draggamor

Postby Marek14 » 24 Oct 2017, 07:17

I don't know much about MMORPGs, but one thing I'd like to see in one is non-Euclidean geometry.

Think about it: if the game world gets too big, the travel gets tedious. Games have to implement some sort of warp system, and then the world is basically broken into disconnected pieces since no one takes the long route between cities when they can teleport.

A world based on hyperbolic geometry would not have this problem, since areas would grow much faster than distances. That means you could have a vast world that's still contained within relatively small boundary and each place is easily reachable on foot from anywhere else.
Marek14
Tester

Postby Draggamor » 24 Oct 2017, 13:21

Good point touched there Marek14,

In truth, 3D technology is not my strong, although one thing I was thinking: why force all players to play pure 3D?

Why not make the way the game is viewed by the end-user, optional, from 3D full quality, making use of the powerful machines, down to a meager isometric 3D top view with low memory use.

I'm in favor of game-play and low quality, if necessary, so that when making teams all players can have fast responsiveness from the game.

Speaking of teams, quests should be tailored in a way that making teams aren't mandatory. Whoever prefers to play solo should also be capable to play the same quests with more or less difficulty.
Draggamor

Postby Alterus » 24 Oct 2017, 14:23

Something that other MMORPG's don't have... Well, I don't know all the games there are out there.
You can't afford this attitude if you want your project to be successful. It's a must to try, like, 20 most popular MMOs or something (or at least watch the streams) to get acquainted with the market.

It's basically like one has to analyze the business market before launching a company. You'll fail if you won't.
Alterus

Postby Draggamor » 24 Oct 2017, 19:13

Excellent point Alterus, and a HUGE minus sign for me, mainly because I took a course on logistics and several modules were about the competition, their pros and cons!!!

Following this, I searched for the 15 most popular MMORP games of up to 2017:

Blade and Soul
Final Fantasy XIV
RuneScape
Path of Exile
Revelation Online
Black Desert Online
Guild Wars 2
Elder Scrolls Online
Phantasy Star Online 2
World of Warcraft
TERA
EVE Online
Star Wars: The Old Republic
ArcheAge
League of Legends
Dungeons & Dragons Online

I might add that I added the last (DDO) on the list because it's a game I've been playing for a while and I find it very good.
Any thoughts/opinions about those? I'll look into them myself.
Last edited by Draggamor on 25 Oct 2017, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Draggamor

Postby Huggybaby » 24 Oct 2017, 20:03

Strange, most of the top 20 start with the letter "A".
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Draggamor » 24 Oct 2017, 20:07

Huggybaby wrote:Strange, most of the top 20 start with the letter "A".
I also found that strange, plus from middle/end ranking it follows mostly alphabetically.
On top of it, great names as WOW, LOL, DDO, LOTRO, not in the list makes be doubt it, but it was the only top 20 I found.
Draggamor

Postby Huggybaby » 24 Oct 2017, 21:29

Sounds like an alphabetical sort filter in your search results.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Next

Return to General Discussion