It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:12

Text Size

30+ Basic Lands added to my deck in every game, bug fix?

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

30+ Basic Lands added to my deck in every game, bug fix?

Postby ElvishSpirit » 03 Apr 2018, 13:40

Hey yall,

First off, I'm very aware of the still ongoing situation with Korath, and it really saddens me that we are still in this position, and I hope one day these ongoing issues can be ironed out, because Korath has the talent and ability to do wonderful things, and I'm truly thankful for the modded versions I was able to grab at the time. So, thank you Korath.

After a moderate amount of delving into the files myself (like the Shandalar.ini) I still am not able to fix as issue I acquired with my most recent version of Shandalar I was able to get (Edit: Upon further inspection, I still had the raw download, and it appears to be Hall of the Sultan 1).

To put it simply, every duel I start adds around 30 basic lands to my deck, no matter the deck size, basically rendering this build unplayable. I remember reading about this issue sometime ago (Year+?) and I was wondering if a solution was ever found, given that I can't just go and download a newer version of the game.

In the Shandalar.ini, I found this -

"[CardsOwned]
;If set to a positive number, then you start each game with that many
;additional basic lands of each type. If set to a negative number, you start
;with at least the absolute value of that number of each type of basic land.
;
;The extra lands are added to your initial card pool, rather than replacing
;anything in it.
;
;Defaults MinBasicLands = 0.
NumBasicLands = 0"

Everything seems to be in order here, but just for the hell of it, I redid the command myself (and reverted when it didn't work), at one point took the entire .ini and replaced it with an older one that I know does work, which also didn't fix it (game still ran, just had the same issue), so now I'm kinda at a loss.

If I need to open a .dll with a program and try to fix it myself, I will. I could just use some direction. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: I found the bug post.

tracker.php?p=4&t=1150

Apparently the version I have is from a very unfortunate incident when Hall Of The Sulton 1 released. Korath apparently fixed this bug in another version of Hall of the Sultan or did a bug fix of HOTS1, it's just a shame that I wasn't paying close enough attention at the time. He does go on to explain the issue-

"This correctly counted the current number of cards in your library, but rather
than copying the return value of the function that did so into the local
variable that's later checked for adding temporary basic lands, instead copied
whatever was in that local variable into the return value (and left the local
variable unchanged)."

I won't post his entire reply, but he goes on to explain the line "count_cards_currently_in_deck()" is mislabeled/bugged, so I imagine it's located in the Shandalar.dll? Bleh. This may be going a little too over my head.
ElvishSpirit

Re: 30+ Basic Lands added to my deck in every game, bug fix?

Postby Aswan jaguar » 03 Apr 2018, 15:34

ElvishSpirit wrote:To put it simply, every duel I start adds around 30 basic lands to my deck, no matter the deck size, basically rendering this build unplayable. I remember reading about this issue sometime ago (Year+?) and I was wondering if a solution was ever found, given that I can't just go and download a newer version of the game.
Every duel you start or every duel in lairs where you have to follow certain rules? Because if you fail to make your deck according to rules of that place your cards will be replaced by basic lands, Wastes in most recent updates.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Re: 30+ Basic Lands added to my deck in every game, bug fix?

Postby ElvishSpirit » 03 Apr 2018, 15:45

Aswan jaguar wrote:Every duel you start or every duel in lairs where you have to follow certain rules? Because if you fail to make your deck according to rules of that place your cards will be replaced by basic lands, Wastes in most recent updates.
Every duel, out in the open, etc. Even when I force my deck to 60 cards, it will add around 40 basic lands, making the deck 100 cards.
As I mentioned, I found the bug post, I think I figured out WHAT the bug is, but now I have to try and find it and fix it myself, which seems like it's going to be a challenge.
ElvishSpirit

Return to Shandalar