It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 01:23

Text Size

Forge doesn't start (Windows 10)

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Forge doesn't start (Windows 10)

Postby pfcacklefanny » 13 Mar 2019, 03:36

Sorry in advance if this turns out to be something silly, but I've tried to download/install Forge a couple of different ways and keep running into the same issue: It just doesn't start. At all. No crash, no log that I can see. Happened with the last three versions of the game, I haven't tried any versions older than that.

I've made sure java was installed/updated, I'm using Windows 10, and tried both through the .exe in the release as well as by using Forge Launcher to download and run. The most I get is in the launcher. It just says "Launching Forge.exe" and nothing happens.

Tried opening the .jar as well, same thing. Sometimes I get the little loading circle, but then nothing. I even had Task manager open to see if it had stopped responding, Forge shows up for a second then disappears. Not sure what's going on but I can't seem to figure out what's up, I've tried different compatibility modes too and got the same behavior.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I love the app on my phone and was looking forward to playing on my desktop.
pfcacklefanny

Re: Forge doesn't start (Windows 10)

Postby pfcacklefanny » 13 Mar 2019, 04:02

So I tried again with an older version, and managed to get a crash report this time:

Description: After launch, when Forge states "Opening Main Window"

StreamException | Open
Code: Select all
Forge Version:    1.5.59-SNAPSHOT-r33275
Operating System: Windows 10 10.0 amd64
Java Version:     1.8.0_201 Oracle Corporation

com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.StreamException: Cannot create XmlPullParser
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.AbstractXppDriver.createReader(AbstractXppDriver.java:56)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:1040)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:1031)
   at forge.quest.bazaar.QuestBazaarManager.load(QuestBazaarManager.java:82)
   at forge.quest.bazaar.QuestBazaarManager.getStallNames(QuestBazaarManager.java:191)
   at forge.screens.bazaar.VBazaarUI.populateStalls(VBazaarUI.java:42)
   at forge.screens.bazaar.CBazaarUI.initBazaar(CBazaarUI.java:26)
   at forge.screens.bazaar.VBazaarUI.instantiate(VBazaarUI.java:103)
   at forge.view.FView.cacheUIStates(FView.java:396)
   at forge.view.FView.initialize(FView.java:137)
   at forge.control.FControl$3.run(FControl.java:262)
   at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
pfcacklefanny

Postby friarsol » 13 Mar 2019, 12:26

Where did you get that version from? 1.5.59? That sounds several years old and probably isn't compatible with 1.8.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby pfcacklefanny » 13 Mar 2019, 21:12

I have the most recent version as well as several older ones, I tried the older ones in the hope they might give some kind of log/report, since I'm getting nothing at all from the most recent ones.
pfcacklefanny

Postby friarsol » 14 Mar 2019, 00:41

Can you open up a command prompt and run this from there? `java -Xmx1024m -jar forge-gui-desktop-1.5.62-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar`
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby pfcacklefanny » 15 Mar 2019, 06:40

This is what I get running what you asked on the most recent version:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at io.sentry.connection.AbstractConnection.<init>(AbstractConnection.java:49)
at io.sentry.connection.HttpConnection.<init>(HttpConnection.java:100)
at io.sentry.DefaultSentryClientFactory.createHttpConnection(DefaultSentryClientFactory.java:424)
at io.sentry.DefaultSentryClientFactory.createConnection(DefaultSentryClientFactory.java:327)
at io.sentry.DefaultSentryClientFactory.createSentryClient(DefaultSentryClientFactory.java:236)
at io.sentry.SentryClientFactory.sentryClient(SentryClientFactory.java:64)
at io.sentry.Sentry.init(Sentry.java:81)
at io.sentry.Sentry.init(Sentry.java:44)
at forge.view.Main.main(Main.java:37)
Caused by: java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name sentry-build, locale en_US
at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(Unknown Source)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(Unknown Source)
at io.sentry.environment.SentryEnvironment.<clinit>(SentryEnvironment.java:23)
... 9 more

Same thing with any other of the versions I've downloaded, including the one you specifically mentioned (1.5.62)
pfcacklefanny

Postby friarsol » 16 Mar 2019, 02:49

pfcacklefanny wrote:This is what I get running what you asked on the most recent version:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at io.sentry.connection.AbstractConnection.<init>(AbstractConnection.java:49)
at io.sentry.connection.HttpConnection.<init>(HttpConnection.java:100)
at io.sentry.DefaultSentryClientFactory.createHttpConnection(DefaultSentryClientFactory.java:424)
at io.sentry.DefaultSentryClientFactory.createConnection(DefaultSentryClientFactory.java:327)
at io.sentry.DefaultSentryClientFactory.createSentryClient(DefaultSentryClientFactory.java:236)
at io.sentry.SentryClientFactory.sentryClient(SentryClientFactory.java:64)
at io.sentry.Sentry.init(Sentry.java:81)
at io.sentry.Sentry.init(Sentry.java:44)
at forge.view.Main.main(Main.java:37)
Caused by: java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name sentry-build, locale en_US
at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(Unknown Source)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(Unknown Source)
at io.sentry.environment.SentryEnvironment.<clinit>(SentryEnvironment.java:23)
... 9 more

Same thing with any other of the versions I've downloaded, including the one you specifically mentioned (1.5.62)
Thats... a strange error.. Do you have an internet connection? Are you blocking sites?
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby pfcacklefanny » 19 Mar 2019, 04:39

My internet connection is good/consistent, and I'm not blocking anything far as I'm aware. Is there something I could check that would tell me if I'm inadvertently blocking something important? Maybe something to do with java?
pfcacklefanny

Postby CptKird » 20 Mar 2019, 08:32

pfcacklefanny wrote:Is there something I could check that would tell me if I'm inadvertently blocking something important? Maybe something to do with java?
Hi,

if it's somehow network related, you could test if it is indeed the source of the problem by physically disconnecting your pc from your local network, and/or, if you use any kind of firewall (which includes the Windows 10 one, Defender(?)) to either check for java related entries or simply disable them temporarly. Since you disconnected from your local network before, that should be safe to do.
(Don't forget to turn the firewall back on though, before connecting to your network again ;D)

I have no problems running latest Forge and the Android backport on my W10 laptop. The backport wouldn't start at first, but that was due to a silent gfx driver update by the OS which broke something. After a downdate and choosing "not to update anymore" because "it broke some apps" in the device properties of my gfx card(!), the OS stopped updating it....

If it's indeed a firewall problem, you could try to exclude any java components from the firewalls blacklist.

Hope you find the problem!
All the best
Cpt. Kird
CptKird

Postby pfcacklefanny » 11 Apr 2019, 05:26

Sorry it took me a while to get back on this one.

I tried disabling my firewall, as well as disconnecting from the network. No dice :/

Still just shows the loading wheel, then nothing happens. I normally don't connect via ethernet, so I tried disabling the wireless adapter just to be absolutely sure nothing network related was going.

Out of curiosity, do you remember which update that was that broke the backport for you? I doubt it's the same thing, but you never know.
pfcacklefanny

Postby CptKird » 11 Apr 2019, 18:16

pfcacklefanny wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you remember which update that was that broke the backport for you? I doubt it's the same thing, but you never know.
Hey, no problem, shame it still doesn't work... :?

Well, I use a laptop, so, if there's a dedicated GPU used, driver updates can be troublesome, since it's not really a standard driver you'll need for that particular model/laptop.

Always use the driver provided by the laptop manufacturer, even if it's grossly outdated. That's a small disadvantage, but pro-Gamers either use special gaming laptops (with frequent driver updates) or none at all.

In my case, the gpu is integrated into the cpu, it's an i7-6700T with an Intel HD530 gpu inside.

Windows decided to silently update the gfx driver and something went wrong, presumably.
From my end, Forge just stopped working.

I checked again and even though I specified no updates, it did so anyway.. before driver was from 2011 I think, then it went with a bothced version from 2015 and now it says 2016 :roll:

Still works though ;) I will try later to think of other possibilities what might be wrong, but for now will try a second round of online play.

All the best
The Kird

Edit: The reason I suspected the GPU driver was this tidbit from the Backport release post:
"First of all, you need a video card capable of OpenGL 3.0 support" (in the minimum system requirements section)
If something effed up your gfx drivers/openGL architecture, it just won't start, though at least it threw a log each time in the backport folder.
CptKird

Postby CptKird » 16 Apr 2019, 19:14

Another idea:

Try uninstalling Java, completely remove every Java or Sun entry in your installed software list.

Then check your firewalls custom rules again for anything Java related. But I guess it's sometimes not clear, which process you once blocked, is actually related to something the installed Java framework might have launched.

So, if you know your way around in your (3rd?) party firewall, you could also just export _all_ custom rules (if there's such an option) and delete them temporarily, while having your firewall in the "ask me anytime something wants to connect to the internet" mode, you might know which one I mean, usually the second to most restrictive one (the most restrictive one being "block everything").
At least that's how it's in Comodo, which I still use.

Then install Java from here:
https://www.java.com/en/download/
Thats usually just a launcher for install over the web, which requests several install packets during the process.

ALLOW every firewall alarm, at least temporary, until Java install completes!

Then try Forge again, best delete your previously unpacked folder and extract a fresh Forge Desktop once more.

I'll keep my fingers crossed :D
If the problem still persists, try Forge from another pc on the same network, maybe from a friends laptop.

If it launches successfully from your friends laptop.... then you need to invite "that friend/guy/girl you know" who's amazing at troubleshooting pc related issues and let them at it, since I think I'm running out of ideas over here ;D

Good luck!
All the best
Cpt. K.

PS: Why this approach? One of your logs contained a very specific error related to a missing US/EN locale package, which seems to be absent from your installation, either due to install issues or corruption.
CptKird

Postby amandacurd » 07 Dec 2023, 12:45

Have you managed to solve the issue?
amandacurd

Postby Sarenuest » 11 Dec 2023, 12:35

I understand that the thread is quite old, and technology can change over time. Given the age of the thread, it's possible that some of the information and solutions provided in my previous response may not be applicable or effective anymore.
Sarenuest

Return to Forge