It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 05:25

Text Size

MTG Player

Moderators: andrewfaust, CCGHQ Admins

MTG Player

Postby andrewfaust » 05 Oct 2009, 03:09

I'd like to announce the availability of the MTG Manager and MTG Player. These have only been in development for just over a month, so are still in the early phases. However, they are feature complete enough for people to start using them.

MTG Player

Tutorial Video

MTG Player provides a way to play online with any number of people. It uses decks created in MTG Manager. Like MTG Manager, it retrieves all card images and details from Wizard's Oracle website or the local database if it's a card you've previously viewed.

MTG Player doesn't attempt to interpret the rules at all. Due to the complexity of the rules and cards, I decided it wasn't feasible for one developer to do in any kind of reasonable time frame. Instead I focused on giving you all the tools necessary to play a full game with all the major game mechanics.

MTG Player has the following features:

It's Free

No need to download and update card packs. It queries Wizard's Oracle site and saves the card pictures and details locally.
      The Zendikar expansion was available in MTG Manager before it was released without any modifications or imports required.

It shows the cards spoiler style.

Ability to use all 17,000+ cards in Wizard's Oracle.

Ability to zoom in/out as much as you want.

No hard limit on number of players. It's been tested with up to 5 players in a real game, but it's theoretically possible to go much larger.

Under very active development.

Supports creature tokens, morph, search deck, search graveyard, add counters to cards, add counters to players, notification window of player actions, transfer control of card, show cards, private workspace, rolling die, shuffling deck, etc.

Easy to set up and host a game.

Supports Planechase Format

You can download it from my website

http://www.andrewfaust.com/mtg/

Update
10/16/2009 - There have been tons of improvements since this was originally posted. Including: Addition of Planechase, Better drag-drop functionality, dockable windows, ability to reorganize your board, save and reload of window layout, improved graphics & tons more usability enhancements.
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?
andrewfaust
DEVELOPER

Re: MTG Player

Postby Jorbes » 23 Oct 2009, 21:19

Hi

Cool program, what graphics engine does it use?

Cheers.
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby andrewfaust » 13 Nov 2009, 01:29

Jorbes wrote:Hi

Cool program, what graphics engine does it use?

Cheers.
Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I didn't have the new post notification turned on properly.

I'm using Windows Presentation Foundation.

Andrew
andrewfaust
DEVELOPER

Postby DrunkSlob » 05 Jan 2010, 06:48

Great work on both of these things,

one thing I noticed is that sometimes when clicking on a scroll bar, sometimes the buttons sometimes the bar, sometimes the space between, the program will crash. I have had this happen far less on my machine, (windows 7) than my brother using windows XP. I didnt see a bugs report or anything, so thought I would inform you.
DrunkSlob

Postby andrewfaust » 05 Jan 2010, 07:38

Thanks.

I've seen this happen occasionally as well. It's been so intermittent on my machine that I haven't been able to track down the cause yet. I suspect it has something to do with the network communications. Could you provide a bit more information? When you're brother crashes, is he hosting? How many players are in the game? Are you on a LAN or the Internet? Have your created a large number of token creatures or placed many counters?

Any or none of my previous questions may be related to the cause of the crash. I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities.
andrewfaust
DEVELOPER

Postby DrunkSlob » 05 Jan 2010, 13:00

Ill start a bugs thread as soon as I have a bit more to report on that crash, have not played a game with my brother since posting that, so ill be sure to pay attention to those kinds of details.

from what I can remember is that actually I was hosting when the crash happened everytime for him, since he has been hosting, he has not crashed...though not being him, I cant be sure that he has not just made sure not to click on those now :D

Also sometimes this would occur really early into the game, so I don't think that counters or tokens are involved.

We play on wired LAN connection.
DrunkSlob

Return to MTG Manager & Player