It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:29

Text Size

Unable to correctly use ability of Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Unable to correctly use ability of Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice

Postby evitherator » 28 Jan 2020, 00:37

First time posting on here! I must congratulate everyone who has EVER worked on this FREE, AMAZING piece of software. That being said, each time I try and copy an artifact ability with Tawnos' ability the stack simply reads "copy [name of artifact] and nothing occurs. Also, how come the card "Worst Fears" isn't in here? Thank you, everyone.
evitherator

Re: Unable to correctly use ability of Tawnos, Urza's Appren

Postby CptKird » 28 Jan 2020, 19:07

Hi, yes, Forge is amazing, due to a collective fan effort :)

I'm not sure about Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice, might it be simply an order of events thing?
As I read it, you need to activate or have an artifact (you control) trigger and let that resolving effect sit on the stack, and it shouldn't be "auto yielded", then activate Tawnos and chose which effect on the stack to target?

Worst Fears reads like it may require some serious change inside Forge, basically pausing the AI, allow a dev mode like situation (view all cards), then be able to control AND play the opponents resources, which may require additional steps to simply be able to chose and tap a land on the other side and at end of turn give back control to the Ai? :shock:

Yeah.. I'm no dev, but I don't see that happening anytime soon ;)

There are only 110(!) unsupported cards, out of 19794 (with individual card rulings), which are too difficult to implement, yet. (Taken from DistinctStats.txt, right under the 1st release post in the release thread)

Everyone is welcome to try their best with card scripting, though :mrgreen:
But some are just not happening, maybe ever, without a complete rewrite of the software 8-[

Have Fun!
K.
CptKird

Postby friarsol » 28 Jan 2020, 20:42

Don't we have Worst Fears? What makes you think we don't?

Looks like it was first added in 2014: https://git.cardforge.org/core-develope ... _fears.txt
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby CptKird » 28 Jan 2020, 21:38

friarsol wrote:Don't we have Worst Fears?
Oh, yes, we do.. #-o

And it works flawlessly :mrgreen:

I can confirm though, that Tawnos isn't working right. Tawnos' effect on stack does not turn into a copy of the target artifact ability on stack.

K.
CptKird

Postby a242424 » 01 Feb 2020, 18:02

Not sure if this is also the problem you're encountering, but recently I tried to copy Transmogrifying Wand's ability with Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice and it didn't let me choose a new target or anything, it just fizzled. If it makes a difference, I was in a multiplayer commander game. I think Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice is bugged.
a242424

Postby evitherator » 01 Feb 2020, 22:49

Thank you everyone for the responses. I realized almost immediately that the keywords "gain control" were wrong when looking for worst fears, I needed to search "you control". And yes, it works flawlessly. I'm glad I'm not going crazy about Tawnos, too. Maybe it will be fixed in the next update, maybe not. I'm just thankful that this program is here and available for free. Thank you, again.
evitherator

Postby Northmoc1344 » 06 Feb 2020, 18:23

Thanks for the bug report and confirmation. This card script has a setting or two that aren't in any other card... definitely worth investigating. Nothing in the script has been changed since 2018, but the way Forge handles the script may have changed. It's on my list... hopefully there's an easy fix!
Northmoc1344

Postby Northmoc1344 » 06 Feb 2020, 18:45

This may not make the final cut as there may be a corner case where you control an effect but not the artifact itself(?), but this is a band-aid that will get your Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice working again.

UI should also be improved a bit. :)

Code: Select all
A:AB$ CopySpellAbility | Cost$ U R T | TgtPrompt$ Select target activated or triggered ability you control from an artifact source | TargetType$ Activated,Triggered | ValidTgts$ Artifact.YouCtrl | AILogic$ AlwaysCopyActivatedAbilities | StackDescription$ SpellDescription | SpellDescription$ Copy target activated or triggered ability you control from an artifact source. You may choose new targets for the copy. (Mana abilities can't be targeted.)
Northmoc1344

Postby evitherator » 06 Feb 2020, 21:01

Thank you! Although I'm not sure what to do with this code. Where do I put it? I've never done anything like this...maybe some manual modding, but I don't know how this compares. Thanks again!
evitherator

Postby Northmoc1344 » 06 Feb 2020, 21:16

The exact specifics may vary depending on your OS:
1. Open your Forge package (on Mac I need to control+click on my Forge Desktop app icon) - see image
2. Contents > Resources > res > cardsfolder
3. In the cardsfolder you should see a .zip file. Double-click to unzip it.
4 cardsfolder > t > tawnos_urzas_apprentice.txt

Make the mod in your text editor, save, and re-open Forge! Just like that!

To be clear though, this is just a band-aid and the corner case I mentioned does exist. Some of the devs who are deeper in the bowels of the game engine are working to get this fixed for real.

But honestly, this band-aid should work for most game states and it's available now. :)
Attachments
Forge package.png
Northmoc1344

Postby CptKird » 06 Feb 2020, 21:46

What Northmoc said :)

On Windows it's in Forge/res/cardsfolder/cardsfolder.zip.

After unpacking the contents there, make sure to move/delete the cardsfolder.zip file out of that folder, so that only the alphabetical subfolders remain.

Maybe make a backup of the original tawnos txt-file and then replace its contents with the code/script from above.

K.
CptKird

Postby evitherator » 06 Feb 2020, 22:53

Thank you guys! I got it working just fine, excellent job!
evitherator

Postby Northmoc1344 » 07 Feb 2020, 01:05

Hanmac did hop right on fixing it, too, so a 100% legal fix should be coming soon :)
Northmoc1344

Postby Northmoc1344 » 07 Feb 2020, 14:31

The proper fix (retaining the UI upgrade) has already been implemented in the newest snapshot: https://snapshots.cardforge.org/latest/

And you know how to check into card scripts now, too!
Northmoc1344

Return to Forge