It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:02

Text Size

A little Review to Forge from a beginner

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

A little Review to Forge from a beginner

Postby Shava » 29 Jul 2020, 15:44

To be honest, i played MTG many years ago with some friends in school (with cards from friends). Now, i wanted to try it against, by playing against ai and i was really unsatisfied by what i saw.
I played the quest mode and i thought, its some kind of mode, where even a beginner like me can have fun, but even the easy difficulty is way to hard. I assume its caused by the decks used, that are way to op against a mediocre deck, e.g. with the beginning cards you have. I tried to create a green deck and i failed against almost every enemy. For now, i managed a 3/8 win/loose ratio, which is not fun.
Please improve it, so that beginners like me can learn the game and have fun as well! A big step would be to nerf the decks of the easy enemies, so that they are limited e.g. by the 'level' of the cards they can use or the number of land cards. That way, they cant overwhelm beginners as fast, as they do now.
In itself, forge is a nice MTG simulator, but its not beginnerfriendly at all.
Shava

Re: A little Review to Forge from a beginner

Postby timmermac » 29 Jul 2020, 19:00

It's possible to modify the quest.preferences file in order to make it much easier in the beginning. I've posted mine so you can see what it looks like. If you have any questions about what you can do in the file, don't hesitate to ask.
Attachments
quest.zip
(875 Bytes) Downloaded 215 times
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby Shava » 30 Jul 2020, 07:39

I cant really understand, how to weaken the AI with that file. From what i read out of it, i can improve the selection of cards, i'm starting with in a new game as well e.g. credits and boni for winning games with certain circumstances (e.g. after 1 turn).
Also, i'm trying to get hq pictures but i noticed, that i can only put them in the appdata files, which are on my small C:// ssd. Can i somehow change the save location to my bigger hdd (where forge is installed, btw)?
Shava

Postby friarsol » 30 Jul 2020, 13:57

Take a look at the "forge.profile.properties" file in the Forge directory. You can move where you save things.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Shava » 30 Jul 2020, 17:47

friarsol wrote:Take a look at the "forge.profile.properties" file in the Forge directory. You can move where you save things.
I tried it, but it wont start anymore with the new card location (without an error message!). Also, how is the naming pattern for the packs in forge? i saw that its called e.g. e7 )probably for the 7th edition) compared to ed7 in the hq pack, i got. are there similar problems with the names with the other packs?
Shava

Postby CptKird » 31 Jul 2020, 23:55

So, if you only want to move card scans you just need to specify this line:
cardPicsDir=
If it's not working, maybe it's because you didn't format the path correctly, let me quote from the instructions:

# Also note that all backslashes in this file need to be escaped themselves with
# a backslash. For example: d:\\mtg-pics. Forwards slashes work on all
# platforms, including Windows, and do not need to be escaped: d:/mtg-pics.

For your second question:
Each set is defined by its edition txt-file in Forge/res/editions. Open up "Limited Edition Beta.txt" for example and look at the top of its contents:

[metadata]
Code=LEB
Date=1993-10-01
Name=Limited Edition Beta
Code2=B
etc

Creating subfolders inside your cardPicsDir need to be named according to either Code or Code2, in this case, the subfolder needs to be named "B" because:

If both set codes differ, use Code2 (mostly for older/very old sets).

The advantage of subfolders (in contrast to just dumping every card scan there) is having all art variants available. Without subfolders, only one art/version of the same card can be displayed.

And each card scan file needs to be named exactly as stated in that same edition txt-file, it will ignore some symbols like the colon here:
C Circle of Protection: Black <> Circle of Protection Black.full.jpg

Also, alternate art variants of the same card in the same set require a "...1.full.jpg" and "...2.full.jpg" and so on.

Have fun collecting :)
K.
CptKird

Return to Forge