It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:50

Text Size

Forge Adventure mode like Shandalar

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Forge Adventure mode like Shandalar

Postby griffin2 » 06 May 2022, 14:23

Please, i dont have much time and i basicaly downloaded the game and played adventure, what are those SNAPSHOTS that add bosses and how to install them? Do they change the rest of the difficulty? Iam using android.
griffin2

Postby Daspien » 21 Jun 2022, 13:37

Suggestions / Recommendations:

1. Since we can choose which color to start, perhaps we can also choose the race and class. This will perhaps be the basis of the starting deck, a bonus on the P/T of creature cards of the same color/race/class as yours or your starting health, etc.

2. Skill tree which includes maximum/minimum deck size, reduced cost or creature abilities to promote different playstyles

3. Quests that rewards rare/mythic cards that cannot be purchased in stores.

4. Character reputation to distinguish what cards are sold in stores. And reduce the amount of stores but increase the cards on sale.

5. An option to sell cards that are more than 4. Selling one by one is time consuming.

6. Instead of a map distinguished by its color, how about using town names which can be used to identify what sets are sold. With this, players can focus on where to look for a specific card instead of hoping for one in a single area that has less than 1% chance of a card appearing because of the large card pool.

7. NPCs to help players on different objectives or acts as helpers for those who are lost and have no idea how to proceed.

8. Encounters that require a specific card and/or color/s so that you won't be dependent on a single deck all through out the game. This further engages the player to be creative.

9. Equipping equipments that also start in the match much like how the mox amulets works that are rewarded by defeating a boss. Exanple, a lightning greaves for feet slot that lets you stsrt with the same card at the start of every match.

Bugs:

1. Random crashes

2. Collision/phasing issues

These are just what's on the top of my head. Based on what i can see so far, window shopping is the major part of the game next only to random encounters since i can just save/load next to a boss building to farm gold.

Right now, i'm using a 40-card red deck composed of trample,haste creatures like ball lightning and can possibly finish an encounter within 3 turns.

For bosses, I use a simic control deck full of counterspells and bounce cards or a Sanguine Bond/Exquisite Blood combo. Manual infinite combos are a pain to do so i scrapped that for auto-yield infinite combis instead.
Daspien

Postby gosse333 » 04 Jul 2022, 18:27

Finished the current content and recieved a purple "strange key" is this used to unlock somthing? Or is it a wip?
gosse333

Postby Grimm » 08 Jul 2022, 12:36

There is a last dungeon, somewhere in the waste biome.
Grimm

Postby rorrak37 » 21 Jul 2022, 03:32

First of all, I'm a big fan of the game and I've sunk a bunch of hours into it over the past week or so since I've found it, thank you for your great work!

For the bug: In the red & white boss dungeons after failing the fight, leaving the dungeon (to heal) and re-entering, my character starts in the lower left corner of the screen (which is black/not inside the path-able area) and can't move.

Things I've tried without luck:

holding down the up key for a while in case it was just a visual glitch showing my character in the wrong place, but the screen didn't scroll or update my characters position.
reloading from a save and re-entering the dungeon
exiting the game, then restarting from a save
going to a town, then back to the dungeon
clearing another dungeon, then going back to the boss dungeon
changing the game out of full screen mode
changing the resolution from 1080 down to the lowest resolution

I also went into the boss dungeon in the center/multicolor biome, and it also puts my character in the lower left corner, unable to move.

I'm playing on windows, 1.6.54.707.SNAPSHOT
rorrak37

Postby Joril » 30 Jul 2022, 07:30

Hello everyone!
I've just find out about this mode, it's a wonderful idea :D Sadly I can't get it to start :(
I'm starting it like this:
Code: Select all
java -Xmx4096m -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -jar forge-adventure-1.6.53-jar-with-dependencies.jar
but after a short while it just exits, printing nothing...

I'm using OpenJDK version "1.8.0_332" on Linux, is there a way to debug the issue? Or is OpenJDK simply unsupported for Adventure mode?
Forge itself works normally though.

Many thanks for your help!
Joril

Postby kevlahnota » 30 Jul 2022, 10:01

rorrak37 wrote:First of all, I'm a big fan of the game and I've sunk a bunch of hours into it over the past week or so since I've found it, thank you for your great work!

For the bug: In the red & white boss dungeons after failing the fight, leaving the dungeon (to heal) and re-entering, my character starts in the lower left corner of the screen (which is black/not inside the path-able area) and can't move.

Things I've tried without luck:

holding down the up key for a while in case it was just a visual glitch showing my character in the wrong place, but the screen didn't scroll or update my characters position.
reloading from a save and re-entering the dungeon
exiting the game, then restarting from a save
going to a town, then back to the dungeon
clearing another dungeon, then going back to the boss dungeon
changing the game out of full screen mode
changing the resolution from 1080 down to the lowest resolution

I also went into the boss dungeon in the center/multicolor biome, and it also puts my character in the lower left corner, unable to move.

I'm playing on windows, 1.6.54.707.SNAPSHOT
Seems a corrupted save from previous version. Fix is to load it with New Game+ and select your old save. You will retain your gold and cards and update your save with the new changes in the map.
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby kevlahnota » 30 Jul 2022, 10:05

Joril wrote:Hello everyone!
I've just find out about this mode, it's a wonderful idea :D Sadly I can't get it to start :(
I'm starting it like this:
java -Xmx4096m -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -jar forge-adventure-1.6.53-jar-with-dependencies.jar
but after a short while it just exits, printing nothing...

I'm using OpenJDK version "1.8.0_332" on Linux, is there a way to debug the issue? Or is OpenJDK simply unsupported for Adventure mode?
Forge itself works normally though.

Many thanks for your help!
You can try to run
bash forge-adventure.sh
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby BlueMilk » 03 Aug 2022, 19:29

The game is great!!
So glad I’ve stumbled upon it.
One thing I’d suggest is a bank in the towns to store unspent gold.
So far so good!
BlueMilk

Postby sauergesicht » 10 Aug 2022, 08:15

Really cool way to play magic! Love the feeling of the Gameboy Pokémon Trading Card Game. =D>

Currently my enjoyment is really hampered by many many crashes. On the overworld, building a deck, viewing a card, battling, saving might result in a crash. Most of the times without any error message. (Galaxy S20FE5G Android 12). A workaround currently is saving after every action. So my gameplay looks like this:

fight, save game, enter town, view cards, sell cards, exit town, save game, enter town, buy cards, exit town, save game, customize deck, save game, ... fight

With many crashes long dungeons are near impossible. Every 3-4 fights a crash is guaranteed.

Nontheless, really enjoyable to roam around, collecting cards and stomping enemies. :D

Here are my suggestions to improve the game:
gameplay / balancing
* possibility to trigger a rematch against an enemy to get more of their cards
* possibility to duplicate a card (ex.: as a shop for 1,5x of its rarity price)
* some indicator to see what level each enemy is (maybe as stars above their heads)
I really liked the boss mechanic of them having 80hp and start with a mox. I think it could be applied to regular enemies as well by making them elites / champions spawning near their temple
some ways to make them stronger
* * give enemies more health
* * give them tokens at the start of the battle (food / blood / clue / treasure)
* * give them card draw artifacts at the start of the battle
* stronger enemies give more gold and more chances of rare cards
* more item progression with different effects and drawbacks
* * item that gives more treasures (or food / blood / clue), but reduces max hp
* * item that give a mox, but reduces card draw on turn one
* * item that stops max hp loss after losing a fight
* * item that reduces overworld enemy spawn rate and walk speed
* * item that increases gold reward by x%
* * item that increases rare card chance

useability
* somewhat of an tutorial; explaining cities, temples, dungeons, items, consequences of losing a fight
* provide a way to quicksave (I think the best place would be in the overworld menu, between "status" and "menu"
* confirmation for exiting the game
* way to sell all nonbasic lands above a quantitiy of 4
sauergesicht

Postby kevlahnota » 10 Aug 2022, 11:45

sauergesicht wrote:Really cool way to play magic! Love the feeling of the Gameboy Pokémon Trading Card Game. =D>

Currently my enjoyment is really hampered by many many crashes. On the overworld, building a deck, viewing a card, battling, saving might result in a crash. Most of the times without any error message. (Galaxy S20FE5G Android 12). A workaround currently is saving after every action. So my gameplay looks like this:

fight, save game, enter town, view cards, sell cards, exit town, save game, enter town, buy cards, exit town, save game, customize deck, save game, ... fight

With many crashes long dungeons are near impossible. Every 3-4 fights a crash is guaranteed.

Nontheless, really enjoyable to roam around, collecting cards and stomping enemies. :D

Here are my suggestions to improve the game:
gameplay / balancing
* possibility to trigger a rematch against an enemy to get more of their cards
* possibility to duplicate a card (ex.: as a shop for 1,5x of its rarity price)
* some indicator to see what level each enemy is (maybe as stars above their heads)
I really liked the boss mechanic of them having 80hp and start with a mox. I think it could be applied to regular enemies as well by making them elites / champions spawning near their temple
some ways to make them stronger
* * give enemies more health
* * give them tokens at the start of the battle (food / blood / clue / treasure)
* * give them card draw artifacts at the start of the battle
* stronger enemies give more gold and more chances of rare cards
* more item progression with different effects and drawbacks
* * item that gives more treasures (or food / blood / clue), but reduces max hp
* * item that give a mox, but reduces card draw on turn one
* * item that stops max hp loss after losing a fight
* * item that reduces overworld enemy spawn rate and walk speed
* * item that increases gold reward by x%
* * item that increases rare card chance

useability
* somewhat of an tutorial; explaining cities, temples, dungeons, items, consequences of losing a fight
* provide a way to quicksave (I think the best place would be in the overworld menu, between "status" and "menu"
* confirmation for exiting the game
* way to sell all nonbasic lands above a quantitiy of 4
I've been playing for hours with no crashes using SuperLQ images I have an old Galaxy S10+ with 8GB RAM, Android 12. Maybe you're using HQ images on your phone resulting to Out of Memory error forcing the app to force close. Anyway check your card images if you have larger than 800p dimension, try to use lower dimensions, easiest way to test is to open Classic Forge, go to deck manager, new deck and scroll down the catalog a few times(usually 1080p images will encounter lag, slow response or black textures after loading 300 or 500 cards or so..). Forge.log would help after you encounter the crash, don't open Forge, browse to your Forge data folder and attach the Forge.log here, it will help determining the crash. Also try to use latest snapshots instead of release version since there are a lot of new additions and improvements on adventure mode.
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby rikimbo » 21 Aug 2022, 19:47

I gave this another proper try and have been playing it for a few days now, and overall I'm really enjoying this so far. Detailed feedback below (spoilers for those who haven't yet tried this):

| Open
Things I really liked:
- Graphics, overworld, towns, the whole atmosphere of wandering around and exploring. The world map with the 5 biomes is super cool.
- The themed shops are great!
- The bosses in each castle giving you a mox of their colour, which you can't get otherwise. Really gives you incentive to find them and beat them.
- Config files. It makes me want to make my own world.

Bugs I encountered:
- I found a dungeon with stairs leading down. When I went down, it spawned me in the wrong place and I couldn't get out.
- When I got to the blue castle, I went in, walked up to the boss, but did not fight it at first. I left the castle to a nearby town and saved the game, then quit. When I loaded up the savegame, the blue boss was gone, even though I have not defeated it. I can't get the blue key. :(

Suggestions for the future:
- Modifications to the "mobile/android" UI: In a match, buttons (ok, cancel) being on the far left and far right of the screen means a lot of moving the mouse around (or using hotkeys). Scrolling large number of cards left/right in deckbuilding or to sell them gets to be a pain with the mouse.
- One dungeon was a very large, mostly empty cave. I didn't enjoy walking through it -- I much prefer the smaller, denser dungeons.
- Most of the enemies are randomly generated tribal decks. It'd be great to have a bigger variety of themes, or some more curated decks (besides the castle bosses)

Questions:
- Does the difficulty of the enemy decks scale over time (or distance)? If so, how?
rikimbo

Postby corals » 22 Aug 2022, 03:48

Hello! Does this mode has known minimum system requirements? Because I think I found them, lol.

Im trying to run it on an old netbook (don't judge me, I'm poor :c ) and it crashes at startup. I get the forge splashscreen everything seems to be loading normally untill it gets to "Finishing Startup", or something like that, stays there for a while and then just closes itself.

My forge log file is empty, just the basic system info stuff, but I get a java crash log thing which I'm attaching in case its not my hardware but something else.

Regular Forge seems to be working fine so far

System: HP Mini 1104
CPU: Atom N2600
GPU: Intel GMA 3600 (Could be the problem since its integrated and its drivers, from what I read, are "not the best).
RAM: 2Gb (Could also be the problem. Task manager shows it starts to fill up ram untill its full and then its when it closes).

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the work you (and everyone else) have put into forge. Its a really cool software and the adventure mode looks awesome, hope I can play it.
Attachments
hs_err_pid4812.log
Java error log
(25.32 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
corals

Postby Grimm » 25 Aug 2022, 12:32

corals wrote:Hello! Does this mode has known minimum system requirements? Because I think I found them, lol.

Im trying to run it on an old netbook (don't judge me, I'm poor :c ) and it crashes at startup. I get the forge splashscreen everything seems to be loading normally untill it gets to "Finishing Startup", or something like that, stays there for a while and then just closes itself.

My forge log file is empty, just the basic system info stuff, but I get a java crash log thing which I'm attaching in case its not my hardware but something else.

Regular Forge seems to be working fine so far

System: HP Mini 1104
CPU: Atom N2600
GPU: Intel GMA 3600 (Could be the problem since its integrated and its drivers, from what I read, are "not the best).
RAM: 2Gb (Could also be the problem. Task manager shows it starts to fill up ram untill its full and then its when it closes).

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the work you (and everyone else) have put into forge. Its a really cool software and the adventure mode looks awesome, hope I can play it.
Well your GPU has to support OpenGL ES 2.0, did you check if there are driver updates for your Chip but the RAM could be an issue. You could try to reduce the used RAM from Java with -Xmx1024m
Grimm

Postby Grimm » 25 Aug 2022, 13:46

rikimbo wrote:I gave this another proper try and have been playing it for a few days now, and overall I'm really enjoying this so far. Detailed feedback below (spoilers for those who haven't yet tried this):

| Open
Things I really liked:
- Graphics, overworld, towns, the whole atmosphere of wandering around and exploring. The world map with the 5 biomes is super cool.
- The themed shops are great!
- The bosses in each castle giving you a mox of their colour, which you can't get otherwise. Really gives you incentive to find them and beat them.
- Config files. It makes me want to make my own world.

Bugs I encountered:
- I found a dungeon with stairs leading down. When I went down, it spawned me in the wrong place and I couldn't get out.
- When I got to the blue castle, I went in, walked up to the boss, but did not fight it at first. I left the castle to a nearby town and saved the game, then quit. When I loaded up the savegame, the blue boss was gone, even though I have not defeated it. I can't get the blue key. :(

Suggestions for the future:
- Modifications to the "mobile/android" UI: In a match, buttons (ok, cancel) being on the far left and far right of the screen means a lot of moving the mouse around (or using hotkeys). Scrolling large number of cards left/right in deckbuilding or to sell them gets to be a pain with the mouse.
- One dungeon was a very large, mostly empty cave. I didn't enjoy walking through it -- I much prefer the smaller, denser dungeons.
- Most of the enemies are randomly generated tribal decks. It'd be great to have a bigger variety of themes, or some more curated decks (besides the castle bosses)

Questions:
- Does the difficulty of the enemy decks scale over time (or distance)? If so, how?
You can try to get the key with the console F10
give item "Blue Key"

I do agree with your suggestions, its just a lot of work.
To your question, yes how?
Right now it is not scaled because it is not so trivial to implement and there is not really a balance yet.

I was thinking about "more away from the center" => more difficult. This would also not cover dungeons but it is the only reasonable idea I had to far.
Time , number of matches, win ratio would also be an option, but I am not really a fan of those.
Grimm

PreviousNext

Return to Forge