It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 22:57

Text Size

Is MWS dead?

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Is MWS dead?

Postby Goblin Hero » 15 Jun 2010, 15:34

I've got the mail from someone from magic-league. They want MWS source code to develop the app by themselves. Unfortunately I can't help them. Looks like all MWS sites are dead now. Is this the end?
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is MWS dead?

Postby tojammot » 15 Jun 2010, 15:44

Time to move for OPT.

No wait, that's closed source as well.
tojammot

Postby Kl3p_co. » 15 Jun 2010, 15:46

This was just inevitable like with every abandonware out there :-(
Always outnumbered. Never outtrolled.
Kl3p_co.

Postby MageKing17 » 15 Jun 2010, 19:17

Remember kids, always open-source your code before falling off the face of the Earth!
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby kenaustin » 17 Jun 2010, 22:52

Goblin Hero wrote:I've got the mail from someone from magic-league. They want MWS source code to develop the app by themselves. Unfortunately I can't help them. Looks like all MWS sites are dead now. Is this the end?
Both the MWS main site and the forums are still up and running. Detonator still posts on the forums, although sporadically.

As for the source code, even Detonator doesn't have it. That was CrazzyWizzard's...and he hasn't been heard from in years to the best of my knowledge.
Legion Magic @ kenaustin's korner
kenaustin

Postby Huggybaby » 25 Jun 2010, 19:51

It won't be dead until something comes along to replace it. My bets are on OPT, especially once it has theme support implemented.

You would also need a full time server or similar architecture to host a lobby to find games. Without that MWS will never die, although it's long past due.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Jorbes » 18 Aug 2010, 10:57

tojammot wrote:Time to move for OPT.

No wait, that's closed source as well.
At least I _have_ the source code hehe.
But you are right, in order for it to grow, at some point it needs to be open sourced. That means the whole idea of security by obscurity needs to be dealt with first.
(Oh, and Im going to need to comment and document the code, that is no fun task!)
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby gaddlord » 04 Sep 2010, 12:32

The last time I spoke (over email) with V. Kalitkin (the developer of MWS Play) he mentioned that he is intending to make a WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) .NET 3.0 multiplayer and maybe port the MWS Library which is abandoned by the second MWS developer.

It has been years since then and no updates were provided.
I believe he also mentioned that the 2 MWS develoeprs were living thousands kilometers away from each other and rarely talk to each other.

I guess kinds, full time job and other obstacles prevents them from continuing their work.

Since I am the developer of MTG Studio (http://www.mtgstudio.com), a replacement for MWS Library, I admit I follow quite closesly MWS progress and must admit that there is no such in the recent years.

I managed to convince Kalitkin to provide me with the source code for the George Baxters analysis they use in MWS Library statistics and soon will implement it in MTG Studio.

But he refused to give me the source code for the MWS Play even though I insisted.
http://www.mtgstudio.com
The Magic Deck and Collection Editor
gaddlord
DEVELOPER

Postby Goblin Hero » 04 Sep 2010, 12:47

gaddlord wrote:he mentioned that he is intending to make a WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) .NET 3.0 multiplayer and maybe port the MWS Library which is abandoned by the second MWS developer. It has been years since then and no updates were provided.
There were lots of different promises past years from MWS dev... MWS 0.96, new play module, etc, etc. And still the only thing we have is old and buggy MWS. I do not believe people still buy it.
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Huggybaby » 04 Sep 2010, 17:15

gaddlord wrote: Since I am the developer of MTG Studio (http://www.mtgstudio.com), a replacement for MWS Library, I admit I follow quite closesly MWS progress and must admit that there is no such in the recent years.

I managed to convince Kalitkin to provide me with the source code for the George Baxters analysis they use in MWS Library statistics and soon will implement it in MTG Studio.

But he refused to give me the source code for the MWS Play even though I insisted.
Welcome to CCGHQ. Please link to your site in your signature. I will also give you the DEVELOPER rank.

Can you share the code for the George Baxter analysis? MWS is the only app I know that has it and I would love to see it made available. If you don't want to or can't I understand.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby gaddlord » 04 Sep 2010, 19:06

Huggybaby wrote:e]Welcome to CCGHQ. Please link to your site in your signature. I will also give you the DEVELOPER rank.

Can you share the code for the George Baxter analysis? MWS is the only app I know that has it and I would love to see it made available. If you don't want to or can't I understand.
Thank you for the moderation of my rank.

Regarding baxter's analysis I can try to dig the original message from the MWS developer with his attached Pascal file. Where I can send/upload that to?
http://www.mtgstudio.com
The Magic Deck and Collection Editor
gaddlord
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 05 Sep 2010, 18:11

You're welcome.

You can zip the file and attach it here, or upload to mediafire.com.

BTW, I've posted this before but IMO MTGStudio is overall the best looking magic app available.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby moislex » 24 Jun 2011, 02:15

It would be nice to offer this file.
It would be helpful in developing a new program.
http://blog.mtgbr.com/mws
All Sources For MWS
moislex

Postby detonator » 03 Jul 2011, 13:22

My new software to supersede MWS in future
http://virtualplaytable.com
detonator
DEVELOPER

Postby lugaru » 21 Sep 2011, 14:49

Given the insane longevity of MWS I could not be more thrilled for Virtual Playtable.
lugaru

Next

Return to Magic Workstation