Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Play MTG for free (MTG web simulator)

Postby spider312 » 06 May 2010, 09:43

[edit]
For interested people, here is a screenshot :
And i wrote a Quick start
[/edit]

Hi

I'm curently working on a 100% web MTG game simulator, heavily inspired by MWS, and would apreciate help or opinions on work done, you can view it there : http://mogg.fr

Thanks in advance
Last edited by spider312 on 23 Sep 2015, 08:08, edited 11 times in total.
spider312

Re: Searching a magic cards database for a web simulator

Postby Huggybaby » 06 May 2010, 20:58

You can get data here: viewtopic.php?p=32107#p32107
I think it's in XML.

I don't know of a web simulator since they took Forge offline.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Incantus » 07 May 2010, 12:38

Wow, this project looks really promising! I think for this kind of game (turn based without too much UI interaction) the future is web based. I've been thinking of porting my project over to javascript, but I don't know js that well, but hopefully your project can serve as inspiration!
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby Snacko » 07 May 2010, 14:14

You can use Java with GWT to output client side JavaScript.
A modified version of GWT was used to demonstrate the Quake2 HTML5 version which appeared in most news around the web.
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby spider312 » 07 May 2010, 15:21

Thank you very much Huggybaby, it's a good basis to build my own DB, and for information, it's plain text, easy to parse, i'll maybe publish DB in SQL format, and functions to manage it

And thanks Incantus, i also think web has really enormous advantages for this kind of app, that's why i choosen those languages. I would be very happy to serve as inspiration for any interesting project ;)
spider312

Postby spider312 » 07 Jul 2010, 09:06

Is nobody interested in such a project ? It's actually nearly 100% usable, i'm still waiting comments. Thanks in advance
spider312

Re: MTG web simulator : would appreciate comments

Postby Snacko » 07 Jul 2010, 21:11

It's a really good MWS replacement however you need to advertise it more. Probably magicleague and some big magic forums like mtgsalvation.

The only problem I encountered was that in firefox you get both the game menu and browser menu overlapping. Under chrome the menu is fine.

Some wishes:
more / all token premade :)
spectating games
probably some people would like 2vs2
same for planes / schemes

Edit:
snow lands are missing pictures
and it would be good to have oracle type/text
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby spider312 » 08 Jul 2010, 15:32

Thank you very much for the comments :)

Snacko wrote:It's a really good MWS replacement however you need to advertise it more. Probably magicleague and some big magic forums like mtgsalvation.
I wanted to get comments from more specialized and smaller comunities before advertizing in large ones
But it's the next stage in my advertisement plans ;)

Snacko wrote:The only problem I encountered was that in firefox you get both the game menu and browser menu overlapping. Under chrome the menu is fine.
Uh ? I had this bug but solved it yesterday, can i ask you which firefox version you're using ? (i don't have this bug under 3.6.6)

Snacko wrote:more / all token premade :)
It's one of the main questions I'm wondering
Currently, when you create a "custom token", it's automatically added to "tokenbox" (that will last over all games on the same server), it's the simpler solution i found, and i was planing to maybe add a list of all tokens, later
Snacko wrote:spectating games
probably some people would like 2vs2
same for planes / schemes
All that is in my TODO list ;) (with stack, limited and deck building/stats, but it surely will take some month to code ^^)
Snacko wrote:snow lands are missing pictures
Thanks, bug repaired :)
Snacko wrote:and it would be good to have oracle type/text
If you mean "written on card", I don't really like that, for many reasons, main is images should always be present in this app, the text fallback is there for debug, but you gave me a great idea : i added a menu entry to see card on magiccards.info :)
spider312

Postby Snacko » 08 Jul 2010, 17:09

I would like a box or a pop up layer, it shouldn't be on the card I wouldn't like it either, that shows the oracle typeline and legal text as some cards changed so much it's impossible to remember what some of them do or what type they're really are.

I'm using firefox 3.6.6 too, so maybe it's an extension. From those more intrusive I've got adblock and noscript with your site whitelisted plus greasemonkey.

I've also found a bug with card attaching. If 2 card somehow end up on the same level and you split them, then when you move the cards the enchament will bounce between the cards.
Sample ascii representation:
Code: Select all
|---|
||---|
|| 2 |
 |---|
Then if you split those 2 overlapping cards and try to move either of those 2 cards the attached card will attach to the moved card. This doesn't trigger any chat messages that would indicate that attached card changed permanent.
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby spider312 » 17 Jul 2010, 09:29

Thanks again for your comments, and sorry for the late, i'm preparing for France nationals, and don't have much time for coding, i'll check all that in 1-2 weeks

Snacko wrote:I would like a box or a pop up layer, it shouldn't be on the card I wouldn't like it either, that shows the oracle typeline and legal text as some cards changed so much it's impossible to remember what some of them do or what type they're really are.
Link to magiccards.info does all that, do you think it's enough ?

Snacko wrote:I'm using firefox 3.6.6 too, so maybe it's an extension. From those more intrusive I've got adblock and noscript with your site whitelisted plus greasemonkey.
That's really strange, i don't see where it comes from, should you watch the javascript console (Ctrl+Shift+J) at the moment it happens and tell me if there is a message please ?

Snacko wrote:I've also found a bug with card attaching. If 2 card somehow end up on the same level[...]
Thanks, i'll check that, but what do you mean by "on the same level" ?
spider312

Postby spider312 » 13 Aug 2010, 13:30

Hi

After a few days away, i worked hard on some major bugs, and i'm happy to annouce a new "testing version" today, far more stable and playable.

It's always aviable on http://mogg.fr , and more than ever i'd like comments about it

Thanks in advance :)
spider312

Postby Quendi » 27 Aug 2010, 08:54

Today I discovered your MTG Web Simulator, it's impressive.

Good work!!!!

A really great tool to use at work :) (My ALT+TAB keywords are "on fire")

Congratulations.
Quendi

Postby spider312 » 04 Aug 2011, 08:46

Hi guys

I've been working hard on this project past month, and would more than ever like some people to try it

Now you also can create draft, sealed, or constructed tournaments without install or update anything (except maybe your browser as only firefox 5 has all required features), adress is still http://mogg.fr , and you still can goldfish to see what it looks like if no other players are present

Thanks in advance :)
spider312

Postby Huggybaby » 04 Aug 2011, 18:10

Thanks spider312. Please keep this topic bumped with updates, and eventually you will find more people to help you. I know from much experience that you have to be persistent with a new project before it can gain momentum.

Oh, and screenshots help raise interest as well. :)
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby spider312 » 05 Aug 2011, 08:39

Thanks for support :) I was hoping there would be no need for marketing (i was even hoping "free drafts" would be enough, but players are needed to get players ...), but indeed, screenshots may be usefull (just to show people it's really a MWS clone ^^), thanks also for the idea :)
spider312

Next

Return to General Discussion