It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 04:18

Text Size

Levelers

General Discussion of the Intricacies

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Levelers

Postby MageKing17 » 22 Apr 2010, 19:52

The Rise of the Eldrazi FAQ is up, so we can now see the exact wording of the leveler rules. I'll quote the relevant portion for us coders:

710. Leveler Cards

710.1. Each leveler card has a striated text box and three power/toughness boxes. The text box of a leveler card contains two level symbols.

710.2. A level symbol is a keyword ability that represents a static ability. The level symbol includes either a range of numbers, indicated here as "N1-N2," or a single number followed by a plus sign, indicated here as "N3+." Any abilities printed within the same text box striation as a level symbol are part of its static ability. The same is true of the power/toughness box printed within that striation, indicated here as "[P/T]."

710.2a "{LEVEL N1-N2} [Abilities] [P/T]" means "As long as this creature has at least N1 level counters on it, but no more than N2 level counters on it, it's [P/T] and has [abilities]."

710.2b "{LEVEL N3+} [Abilities] [P/T]" means "As long as this creature has N3 or more level counters on it, it's [P/T] and has [abilities]."

710.3. The text box striations have no game significance other than clearly demarcating which abilities and which power/toughness box are associated with which level symbol. Leveler cards each contain only one text box.

710.4. Any ability a leveler card has that isn’t preceded by a level symbol is treated normally. In particular, each leveler permanent has its level up ability (see rule 702.84) at all times; it may be activated regardless of how many level counters are on that permanent.

710.5. If the number of level counters on a leveler creature is less than N1 (the first number printed in its {LEVEL N1-N2} symbol), it has the power and toughness denoted by its uppermost power/toughness box.

710.6. In every zone other than the battlefield, a leveler card has the power and toughness denoted by its uppermost power/toughness box.

In other words, you could interpret Coralhelm Commander's text box as though it said the following:

2/2
Level up {1} ({1}: Put a level counter on this. Level up only as a sorcery.)
As long as Coralhelm Commander has at least two level counters on it, but no more than three level counters on it, it's 3/3 and has flying.
As long as Coralhelm Commander has four or more level counters on it, it's 4/4 and has flying and "Other Merfolk creatures you control get +1/+1."
(The rules for the "level up" keyword itself not included because we all know what it does... stick level counters on it.)

The question of whether or not leveling up removes previous abilities is answered, which makes it possible to actually implement these, now. However, nothing says it's not possible to put more than one "Level N+" box on a single card, which I think we can expect in the future (maybe a few years down the road) as an extension of the leveler mechanic.
MageKing17
Programmer

Re: Levelers

Postby frwololo » 03 May 2010, 02:18

MageKing17 wrote:However, nothing says it's not possible to put more than one "Level N+" box on a single card, which I think we can expect in the future (maybe a few years down the road) as an extension of the leveler mechanic.
Good point, this would lead to a more "RPG" kind of experience where you can choose how your heroes specialize, a bit like in modern real time strategy games on computers... That sounds definitely like a direction where Magic could go in a near future.
frwololo
DEVELOPER

Postby MageKing17 » 03 May 2010, 05:35

frwololo wrote:
MageKing17 wrote:However, nothing says it's not possible to put more than one "Level N+" box on a single card, which I think we can expect in the future (maybe a few years down the road) as an extension of the leveler mechanic.
Good point, this would lead to a more "RPG" kind of experience where you can choose how your heroes specialize, a bit like in modern real time strategy games on computers... That sounds definitely like a direction where Magic could go in a near future.
I'm not sure how that leads to choosing specializations? I'm talking about a card that would look something like this:

Level up UB
Level 3+: Pay 3 life: Draw a card.
Level 6+: Whenever you draw a card, tap target creature.

So at level 6, it has three abilities: "Level up UB", "Pay 3 life: Draw a card.", and "Whenever you draw a card, tap target creature."
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby frwololo » 03 May 2010, 07:20

Sorry, I misunderstood what you said.
I assumed something like:
choose one:
OR
Level 3+: Tap a creature you control. Target opponent loses 1 life.
frwololo
DEVELOPER

Postby MageKing17 » 04 May 2010, 04:40

frwololo wrote:Sorry, I misunderstood what you said.
I assumed something like:
choose one:
OR
Level 3+: Tap a creature you control. Target opponent loses 1 life.
Now that would be an interesting card. I can't imagine how the rules would look, but there's my next custom card project. :P
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby princealway » 11 Aug 2010, 18:21

Great detail this would lead to a more "RPG" type of experience where you can choose how to specialize your hero, just as in the current real-time gaming on computers . This definitely sounds like a direction where the magic might go in the near future.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
princealway

Return to Magic Rules Engine Programming