It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:11

Text Size

Feature requests

Moderators: ubeefx, beholder, melvin, ShawnieBoy, Lodici, CCGHQ Admins

Feature requests

Postby ubeefx » 18 Dec 2010, 20:32

This is the topic to request for features.
Feature requests can also be done directly on the Google project issues page.
Please give a clear description of the feature or change you want.

ubeefx
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Re: Feature requests

Postby Huggybaby » 18 Dec 2010, 20:37

I don't see where on the project page to make a request, but this forum is more convenient for me, so thanks.

I've used 1.2 a bit, and it's fantastic. Your interface is wonderfully unique. Is it possible that you've never played MWS or any other magic game? Because somehow you avoided copying all the others which I thought was impossible. :)

My request: move the stack down to just above the main activity box. I think my eyes must move 100 miles each game, looking up to the stack box, and it's tiring.

Also, will sounds be added some time?
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby ubeefx » 18 Dec 2010, 20:51

I indeed did not play a lot of other computer Magic games like MTGO or MWS so I had a fresh mind.
I just wanted to make my own Magic game. Magarena is now the result of this. :)

Actually I looked for a forum where to post about Magarena and then I found slightlymagic.
Thanks to this forum I now know about all the other cool projects going on and I will check them out.

Letting the stack grow starting from above the messages box instead of the top of the screen could indeed be better and should not be that hard to do. I will play around with this for next release.

Adding sounds should not be that much work. For what specific actions or events would you like to have sounds?
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 18 Dec 2010, 21:03

Shuffle, draw, tap, go to graveyard...I'm not the best guy to ask.

Another request (and this is one I fight for with every app): In the game, make the hover popup instant, like it is in the deck list. Right now it's 250-500 ms or so.

Also, does Magarena support HQ pics?
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Huggybaby » 18 Dec 2010, 23:02

* I suggest binding the right arrow "pass priority" button to the right arrow key, and the undo move button to the left arrow key. That would eliminate a lot of clicking esp. if you're playing every step, and would make the game faster and easier. :partyman:

* Also greatly decrease the popup on hover time for the view exile graveyard hand stack.

* In images mode, play choices are highlighted in green. In text mode there is no highlighting. Can you add highlighting to text mode? Text mode is a sweet option BTW.
Last edited by Huggybaby on 18 Dec 2010, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added more feature requests
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby ubeefx » 19 Dec 2010, 13:47

I added 6 new feature requests to the Google project page.
This gives already a nice list of possible improvements for version 1.3, besides adding cards. :D

About highlighting in text mode, it is there but it is subtle.
The foreground color is green (choice) or red (combat) for choices that can be made.
Cool to hear you like the text mode, it was actually implemented before the graphical view!
But then I realised that having a nice graphical overview is important.

About HQ pics, even when Magarena would download these, it still rescales them to 223x310 right now.

ubeefx
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Postby marq » 19 Dec 2010, 15:54

Do you plan on implementing any landfall triggers any time soon? This would allow you to bring in some powerful creatures such as Steppe Lynx, Plated Geopede, Bloodghast and probably more that I'm missing (I'd really love to see Bloodghast brought to the table because he's straight up annoying :P). Obviously this may require tweaks to your AI but man is that thing super smart and keeps me on my toes! I'd love to help if you don't see it happening any time soon.
marq

Postby ubeefx » 19 Dec 2010, 16:33

Actually there is already a powerful landfall creature namely Rampaging Baloths.
Adding Steppe Lynx and Plated Geopede is not that much work.
I was going to add Windrider Eel, see card wish list, but that is not as powerful.
Triggered abilities from the graveyard are not yet supported, so Bloodghast would be more work.
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Postby marq » 19 Dec 2010, 17:12

Very nice, I just assumed you didn't have any landfall triggers as I did a search through your src tree for Landfall and came up with nothing, I should have assumed that Rampaging Baloths would have been one of the first as his ability is powerful and would cause some interesting AI decisions :D.
marq

Postby Huggybaby » 21 Dec 2010, 03:19

I was surprised to see a card like Student of Warfare that levels up in the game!

Feature Request: Add ability to save in the middle of a duel.

FR2: In fact, the way you do your save states couldn't you save entire game replays?

FR3: Add ability to bind left click action to e.g up arrow or ctrl keys. This combined with previous requests for keyboard actions would almost eliminate clicking.

How it works: If I want to tap or select a card I hover over it with the mouse and hit ctrl to select it. I'm left handed though. I think this combination of keyboard and mouse will lead to the most fatigue free playing experience.

FR4: Adjustable AI depth. If I'm not in a hurry I would wait a few seconds longer if it allows the computer to play even better.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby ubeefx » 21 Dec 2010, 10:01

I was also happy with how the computer plays with Student of Warfare while testing the card.

About the requests. Not saving games in progress is a design choice of Magarena.
That does not want to say it is not possible, but it was just not something I planned to do.
Saving recorded games goes a step further, but is also not impossible.
I will put a low priority enhancement request for this on project.

Increasing the maximum AI level to 8 is certainly possible, I will also do it for release 1.3.
The AI can dynamically reduce this level when game state is too complex, but it could be much slower sometimes.

The ctrl/arrow up is added to keyboard shortcuts enhancement, I will see if it is possible to do.
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 21 Dec 2010, 16:54

If saving game states is not part of your plan then please ignore the request. The problem with requests is that they are almost random, and if they're all implemented then the game can end up losing what made it desirable in the first place.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby jeffwadsworth » 23 Dec 2010, 01:44

I have a few requests.

1. Allow the user to see what choice the AI thinks is best, etc. Like a chess program in which you can view the search tree.

2. Add adjustable values to the "deck strength" tool. Allow the user to set the depth and number of games. I have an i7 and the default settings take about 10 seconds to finish.

3. It would be fascinating to note how your AI plays cards like Stasis, Necropotence, and Tinker.

Thanks for your outstanding program. Sweet code too.
jeffwadsworth
Super Tester Elite

Postby ubeefx » 23 Dec 2010, 08:51

1. There is a logging option in the code (LOGGING in ArtificialWorkerPool) which can be enabled to print all possible options and their score to the console. Showing the tree itself is not possible.
This is however disabled in a release. You can try that out maybe.

2. I will add an enchancement request for it and probably do it for release 1.3.

3. I agree but those cards will not likely be implemented.
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Postby epiko » 02 Jan 2011, 22:07

this is my very raw proposal for the gui. it would be nice to have all the icons and button and elements of the GUI to be user editable, so everyone can create a custom theme. It would be nice to have a different theme for every deck color. What do you think about it?
epiko

Next

Return to Magarena