It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:57

Text Size

MA 1.2 open betatest

Moderators: charmer, CCGHQ Admins

MA 1.2 open betatest

Postby Goblin Hero » 08 Feb 2011, 19:42

I need beta testers for the new auto update feature.
Test 1. Download http://ma.slightlymagic.net/Updater.exe and put it into empty folder. Run the updater, allow it to download all the files. Run Magic Album, check if it works.
Test 2. Make backup of your current MA installation (just in case). Put updater into your current MA installation, run it, download the files, check if MA works.
Known issue: you need WinXP SP1 or higher to run new beta. I can solve this problem but not sure if it is really needed.
Report your results in this topic. Suggestions are welcomed!
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MA 1.2 open betatest

Postby kristijanH » 08 Feb 2011, 22:03

Both methods work for me but the updated version is missing the MBS cards.
kristijanH

Postby Goblin Hero » 09 Feb 2011, 16:29

Try to run updater again. It should properly update and restart himself.
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby woogerboy21 » 10 Feb 2011, 03:16

Alright tried the updater and here's what I found.
  • when running the updater by itself and left alone it downloads all files and the application runs properly
  • when running against an older version and left alone it downloads all files and the application runs properly
  • if you abort at any time during the download process i was unable to restart the updater and have it continue or replace any missing or half downloaded files
  • if i manipulate any files under the folder that the updater is run from after the update has run completly and successfully the update does not appear to check file consistancies and will not remove and correct any problematic files

so if these are the expected results then yup its working. i also tinkered around a bit in the application after updating it and didn't see any major differences between the 1.19b and the 1.2 release and without any update details I couldn't test to see if the application updates were applied properly. anything else you would like tested? also i am running windows 7 professional x86.

Things I would suggest / like to see:
  • consistancy checking (if its not already supposed to be there)
  • possibly a display as to what is being downloaded at the time. mainly so that if it is aborted or fails at some point i have an idea on what it was working on last
  • logging (maybe on errors only?)
  • possibly a billboard to display update details or possibly some type of advertising. im in no way saying to sell spots on your application more like promote your site or application functionality.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby kristijanH » 10 Feb 2011, 07:59

I would add a update option within the program itself - a link to download/start the updater.exe.
kristijanH

Postby Goblin Hero » 10 Feb 2011, 18:39

Another updater beta. Update after user abort should work now. Also there's an ability to force file verification.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby woogerboy21 » 10 Feb 2011, 22:10

Goblin Hero wrote:Another updater beta. Update after user abort should work now. Also there's an ability to force file verification.
It appears now you can abort during a download and resume as well as bunkup the installation and the update correct the problematic files \:D/

Just out of curiosity, what differences are there between the "verify" and "update" button? You mentioned something about forcing a file verification (which I would assume the verify button would do) but it appears the update button performs the same functionality now as well.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby Goblin Hero » 11 Feb 2011, 06:45

woogerboy21 wrote:what differences are there between the "verify" and "update" button?
If you press "Update" the program checks the server for new updates and exits if none found (assuming your last update was completed successfully). If you press "Verify" the program verifies file hashes ignoring what you program is updated and no new updates found.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bloodnut » 19 Feb 2011, 23:31

both test successful on my win7 ultimate x64.

Also, noticed that all the promo cards have been updated EXCEPT "searing blaze" textless from the Magic Player Rewards.

wasn't the updater supposed to be incorporated into MA? or is it planned to be standalone?
Bloodnut

Postby Goblin Hero » 21 Feb 2011, 10:24

Bloodnut wrote:EXCEPT "searing blaze" textless from the Magic Player Rewards.
Will be added.
Bloodnut wrote:wasn't the updater supposed to be incorporated into MA? or is it planned to be standalone?
For several reasons it will be a separate exe file.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Goblin Hero » 21 Feb 2011, 16:54

Ok, thank you for testing. I think it is safe to release v1.2
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Magic Album