It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:21

Text Size

Possible answer to missing art here.

Downloads, Guides , General Support
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Possible answer to missing art here.

Postby Shadowcran » 28 Apr 2011, 16:34

I downloaded/installed all the features about 2 weeks ago but could never get the artwork to show up on MagicCustom, until last night.

I tried the compatibility toolkit over and over with no results. Last night, in a fit of pique, I simply went to the Cardartnew and CardartLimited folders, copied the contents and pasted them into both a folder named "CustArt" and the regular "CardArt" folders. Now, I've got all the pictures for Custom, except for Frozen Shade for some odd reason. It's picture is the back of a magic card.

*When you paste them into the folders, when it asks if you want to "copy over" the files, pick "No, but keep both files."

I'm not one for technical jargon, but I can deduce answers for problems. This time, however, it was plain dumb luck. I know that others have had problems getting the pics in Custom to work, so maybe this will solve them.

Usually when someone posts in this area, it's about a problem. At least this time it's a possible fix.
Shadowcran

Re: Possible answer to missing art here.

Postby Salbei » 01 May 2011, 23:48

For like 99.9% of the people this WILL FUCK THINGS UP. So please create a backup first.

Please check the SCV topic for the complete Artwork folders.
Sonic is doing a great job at keeping those up to date.

As long as you stay away from the custom version and just use the "magic.exe" / "magiclim.exe" to start the game then everything should be fine.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3991&start=45#p57534 (april 2k11)
Retired a long time ago. I will not reply.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby Sonic » 02 May 2011, 23:58

Unfortunately, Shadowcran, you haven't actually fixed a missing artwork problem. There was no artwork supplied with the Custom expansion.

The Custom Deck Editor was provided to allow users to construct their own customized 2000 card game from cards provided in both the Constructed and Limited games - the editor would compile the artwork for the individually selected cards by copying it from existing artwork in the CardArtNew and CardArtLim folders into the CardArtCus folder.

As supplied, the Deck Editor came with a full set of Manalink.exe, cvs and .dat files which are renamed for the Custom game. As I understand it, they are actually nothing more than an old set of files from a previous update - they really only act as pre-formatted files for the Editor to copy the selected card parameters into. They will however allow the custom game to load - although, without running the editor first, without any artwork.

The problem was that the Editor itself proved somewhat temperamental to individual PC setups and regular Constructed/Limited game updates. I believe the situation is that Jatill eventually abandoned the Deck Editor project sometime back, because it was impossible for him to replicate many of the bugs people were experiencing on his own setup.

According to the advice in the WIKI for the Custom Deck Editor the current recommendation is:
'Some people have a very hard time getting this tool working. If things do not work out easily for you, you may want to consider abandoning this tool.'

http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Updated_Deck_Editor

Hope this helps.
Working On: Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby Shadowcran » 03 May 2011, 02:11

I had the correct files into the correct locations but the artwork just would not show up on the Custom version. That was the only problem I had until I moved all art into the Custart folder manually. I went step by step through every single helpful guide in the forum, and none of them worked. This did.

I understand that Custom doesn't want to work in Vista or Windows 7. THrough lack of preparation of my own, I ended up with Vista(I don't recommend this to anyone that's not a masochist) and from what I hear, 7 isn't much better. Perhaps folder recognition is the reason why it wouldn't read the artwork for Custom. I had the same exact trouble with Battle for Wesnoth until I manually moved downloaded campaigns into the correct folder. After that, it went smoothly.

For those not familiar with it, Battle for Wesnoth is also a user made program with user made campaigns. It's a tactical fantasy game. If you love turn based strategy warfare, go get it free somewhere. However, the forums there are infested with trolls, so I don't recommend anyone to go there or try to make campaigns/creatures yourself as all you'll get is abuse for your time.

The only problem I have had with Custom since the manual move is trying to find premade decks to play against. I also had to do some research on these new cards to figure out what was banned and not, but that type of thing is a guilty pleasure for me, not a hindrance, lol.

I truly appreciate your feedback though. It wasn't sarcastic junk that I got on Battle for Wesnoth and that's why your forums will continue.

Sometimes a person can overthink a problem when it's just something simple.
Shadowcran

Return to Installation and Troubleshooting