It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 17:32

Text Size

What cards should be added?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

What cards should be added?

Postby jpb » 19 Sep 2008, 20:24

Now that some destroy artifact and enchantment cards are in MTG Forge I would like to see more artifacts and enchantments added as well. I will work on adding one or two this weekend. What other cards should be added? Please give the exact name of the card and I'll see about adding it.
jpb

Re: What cards should be added?

Postby DennisBergkamp » 19 Sep 2008, 22:31

I was really hoping to see cards like Collective Restraint (or Propaganda, which should be a very similar implementation), Evasive Action, Global Ruin and Draco for the domain themed decks.

Lashknife Barrier would be awesome too, I love that card.

I understand some of these cards are global though, which I know are tricky to program #-o
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby jpb » 20 Sep 2008, 03:38

Global Ruin sounds good. I'll work on it if I have time tomorrow. The AI to pick which type to remove might be difficult to get right, but the human side of the card won't be too bad.
jpb

Postby GandoTheBard » 20 Sep 2008, 06:13

I would like to see the following cards added (as Ive mentioned elsewhere):

Desolation Giant
Aven Riftwatcher
Crystal Shard (all the shards for that matter just for intriguing ideas)
Shard Phoenix
Stonecloaker
Sensei's Divining Top
Harrow
Cursed Scroll
Magus of the Scroll
The Rack
Hypnotic Specter
Dark Ritual
Yavimaya Elder
Gaea's Blessing
Braingeyser
Stroke of Genius

Thats just to name a few.
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby DennisBergkamp » 20 Sep 2008, 06:52

Hypnotic Specter and Yavimaya Elder would be awesome.
Hmm, the latter shouldn't be too hard to program, neither would Harrow, I don't think. There's a bunch of similar existing cards in MTGForge.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Mr.Chaos » 20 Sep 2008, 13:42

Nullmage Shepherd would be nice, just to keep my elf decks up and running against the new artifacts and enchantments. At least this card can be used more often than the current removal card: Naturalize.
(image shown because cardinfo is not displayed, eventhough the name is spelled correctly.)
Nemata, Grove Guardian is another that has been on my wishlist for a while.
Wren’s Run Packmaster also would be nice.
(image shown because cardinfo is not displayed, eventhough the name is spelled correctly.)
Staff of Domination (good on it's own, but it really needs Priest of Titania, the card that cannot be made yet)
Isochron Scepter (Imagine this card with Ancestral Recall while you have a Black Vise out. :lol: I also like to use it with Fog or Respite)
So let's add Fog and Respite to the wishlist shall we. :wink:
I can easilly think of more, but let's see how much of these are possible first.
Thanks in advance.
](*,) = coder at work, according to a coder.It does explain some of the bugs. :wink:
Mr.Chaos
Tester

Postby GandoTheBard » 20 Sep 2008, 20:35

I cant say Im much of a fan of infinite mana engines particularly for a client like MTG Forge...Before you can include combinative cards like Staff of Domination (which imho is pretty darned broken) and Preist of Titania there must be a mechanism to avoid infinite mana. Though actually the way Forge works now (incorrectly) you can not simply tap for mana...you must be paying something. But as soon as a card like Priest of Titania becomes possible then the game suddenly has problems.

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby jpb » 20 Sep 2008, 21:55

You bring up a good point about infinite combos. If the combo is automatic then there are some problems. If the combo is based on decisions made by the human or AI then I think we can avoid it fairly easily.

One way to avoid infinite mana (which is not automatic) is for the AI to stop using mana generation techniques after it gets like 1,000,000 mana in the mana pool. I would think that could be a fairly easy way to avoid the problem on the AI side. On the human side we do not need to worry about this specific combo since there will be too much clicking to cause a problem. The human will probably stop after a few dozen combos, if they don't then I say let them click on three cards over and over and over forever if they want to =)
jpb

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 22 Sep 2008, 15:51

There is no mana pool currently in MTGForge, so Dark Ritual wouldn't work anyway. MTGForge will only use mana from permanents, and can only handle a single mana of a single color from each permanent at a time, and only when a cost needs to be dealt with. To add a mana pool function would be quite a task, I would think.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby GandoTheBard » 22 Sep 2008, 15:55

Rob Cashwalker wrote:There is no mana pool currently in MTGForge, so Dark Ritual wouldn't work anyway. MTGForge will only use mana from permanents, and can only handle a single mana of a single color from each permanent at a time, and only when a cost needs to be dealt with. To add a mana pool function would be quite a task, I would think.
Im a little surprised you didnt remark on the OTHER wishful thinking cards that I listed. Clearly there is no mana pool, and clearly forge couldnt handle it if there was, just as it would probably have trouble dealing with Kicker costs etc. I'm sorry if my wishing offended your sense of propriety.

GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 23 Sep 2008, 03:11

GandoTheBard wrote:Im a little surprised you didnt remark on the OTHER wishful thinking cards that I listed. Clearly there is no mana pool, and clearly forge couldnt handle it if there was, just as it would probably have trouble dealing with Kicker costs etc. I'm sorry if my wishing offended your sense of propriety.
So I'm off to a slow start... sorry..

Actually kicker costs wouldn't be too difficult. It would be just like Buyback on Elvish Fury or Sprout Swarm.

What propriety? I'm just mentioning something no one else mentioned here. I wished for a Mana Pool too... And after thinking about it, I looked around in Input_PayManaCost and a mana pool might not be as difficult as I had thought. I'm still not sure if it's really workable, but it might be worth a try.

I've got a ton of card material brewing here, additions to the Pump keyword and Regenerate keyword are complete and ready to go. I have concepted a Cycling keyword, ComesIntoPlayTapped keyword and Cantrips for both spells with Draw a card and permanents that draw a card when they come into play - I've got most of the code, I just need to work up the cards.txt, card-pictures, commons.txt, uncommons.txt and rares.txt. I've got demographic lists of abilities and mechanics for future keyword functions. And a generic counters class - +1/+1 or -1/-1 or even charge counters....

I'm glad I found that there are other folks here working on it too. On that note, I wonder if anyone is willing to step up as a code coordinator.. preferably someone who has successfully compiled.... Forge's latest blog pretty much sums up that if we want new cards NOW in v1, then we have to do it ourselves.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby mtgrares » 23 Sep 2008, 13:18

I didn't have a mana pool in version 1 because it was too complicated. I am working on version 2 and it definitely will have a manapool. I just posted a non-working, alpha version of the source code but I don't think anyone can really else can really understand it. I'm going to have a class called RulesEngine that implements all of the rules of Magic in one place. The user interface is going to use abstract component so other people can theoritically easily write their own. (Although writing a user interface (gui) is never easy.) Also a class MainFactory is going to create everything, the gui, all the cards.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby jpb » 23 Sep 2008, 15:17

I wouldn't be so sure no one else will write a UI. I've been thinking about it =)
jpb

Return to Forge