It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 08:49

Text Size

Developing Bugs

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Developing Bugs

Postby Braids » 24 Jul 2011, 16:07

friarsol wrote:It seems I can't edit or create bugs now because of some added Git Rev Required field. What is this field expecting? Because I tried using the 7 digit hex characters and it doesn't like it.
in my defense, i marked that field as NOT required when adding, updating, or closing an issue.

however, the {minimum required length} field was overriding this. not intuitive.

anyway, we now have fields for entering the git revs detected and pushed. see the post here for more information: http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5052&p=66133#p66133
"That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen." --Rob Cashwalker, regarding Innistrad double-sided cards. One of the first times he and I have ever agreed on something. ;)
Braids
Programmer

Location: Unknown. Hobby: Driving myself and others to constructive madness.

Postby friarsol » 24 Jul 2011, 16:17

Braids wrote:
friarsol wrote:It seems I can't edit or create bugs now because of some added Git Rev Required field. What is this field expecting? Because I tried using the 7 digit hex characters and it doesn't like it.
in my defense, i marked that field as NOT required when adding, updating, or closing an issue.

however, the {minimum required length} field was overriding this. not intuitive.

anyway, we now have fields for entering the git revs detected and pushed. see the post here for more information: http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5052&p=66133#p66133
I understood the point of the field. It just seemed the field wasn't working the way it was supposed to.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Braids » 24 Jul 2011, 21:09

Rob Cashwalker wrote:Anyway, you've got admin status, what were you planning to change?
thank you for having faith in me. :-)

i added the custom fields for entering the git rev detected (completely optional) and the git rev at which the fix was pushed. the latter is required at resolved/closed statuses. but you can always put in 0000000 if you want.

i also have been adding some more categories. the existing ones didn't fit at all for some issues. i don't think i changed any that were already there. and yes {testability} is a word.
"That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen." --Rob Cashwalker, regarding Innistrad double-sided cards. One of the first times he and I have ever agreed on something. ;)
Braids
Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 25 Jul 2011, 01:06

Yeah, definitely needed better categories.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 04 Aug 2011, 02:35

Bug reporting is now integrated into Forge. From the error viewer, the report will be pre-populated with the error dump. From the New Game screen, deck editor screen and in-game screen, the report will just be empty.

Reporting anonymously uses a dummy account called ForgeGUI. If you have a Mantis account, you can enter your credentials and Forge will save it and use it by default next time.

Braids, this kinda affects the process described in the error report header.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 04 Aug 2011, 02:47

Should be really useful, especially with anonymous reporting. The only thing I'd suggest is to get those 4 "New" bugs to appear first in the list (or possibly be the only options, although that is probably trickier). After the bug is created with one of these four, a dev can reassign the bug type to something more specific.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Braids » 04 Aug 2011, 02:50

Rob Cashwalker wrote:Bug reporting is now integrated into Forge. From the error viewer, the report will be pre-populated with the error dump. From the New Game screen, deck editor screen and in-game screen, the report will just be empty. . . Braids, this kinda affects the process described in the error report header.
ok, sounds nifty. i hope we don't get too many duplicates.

i'll take a look at the gui changes and update the document later this week. maybe even tomorrow.

friarsol wrote:Should be really useful, especially with anonymous reporting. The only thing I'd suggest is to get those 4 "New" bugs to appear first in the list (or possibly be the only options, although that is probably trickier). After the bug is created with one of these four, a dev can reassign the bug type to something more specific.
i agree with the good friar, aye. i specifically designed those categories as flags for such reassignment.

of course this prevents a smart dev from reporting a bug directly to the correct category, but . . . devs can just use Mantis directly, so nevermind that.
Braids
Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 04 Aug 2011, 03:02

I'd rather have the full list, especially for devs or beta testers to report their bugs accurately.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby nantuko84 » 04 Aug 2011, 07:21

Hi,
I like the bug tracker you started to use for Forge and the idea to report from the application itself.
I would like to have the similar in Mage, could you please help how can I start with it? :) How the site can be deployed and what are the requirements?

~regards
Mage\MagicWars blog: http://mwars.blogspot.com/
nantuko84
DEVELOPER

Postby Braids » 04 Aug 2011, 13:27

nantuko84 wrote:Hi,
I like the bug tracker you started to use for Forge and the idea to report from the application itself.
I would like to have the similar in Mage, could you please help how can I start with it? :) How the site can be deployed and what are the requirements?
please be very careful, nantuko84. Forge is licensed under the GNU Public License, which is not compatible with MAGE's {superior} BSD license. If you copy or link any Forge-created source code into MAGE (with the exception of code found in the net.slightlymagic.braids packages), there's a good chance that the rest of MAGE will automatically become GPL as well.

now, if Rob dual licenses his original code as BSD+GPL, then you can use it with abandon. but Rob can't issue licenses for any works that were derived from Forge's code. {this is also why net.slightlymagic.braids.* is dual licensed with Apache2+GPL. i wrote that code myself, without so much as peeking at other Forge code. any similarities truly are coincidental.}

edit: i was full of Nightsoil Kami.
Last edited by Braids on 05 Aug 2011, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.
Braids
Programmer

Postby jendave » 04 Aug 2011, 14:10

Braids wrote:If you copy or link any Forge-created source code into MAGE (with the exception of code found in the net.slightlymagic.braids packages), there's a good chance that the rest of MAGE will automatically become GPL as well.
This is simply not true. Only the code that is copied or derived will be GPL. The rest of MAGE will remain BSD. From a practical standpoint, it would be best to segregate the code so that it is easy to determine what is derivative and what is not (i.e. keep Forge code in a separate directory.
jendave

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 04 Aug 2011, 14:34

WTF? Braids, are you being sarcastic?

To be honest, I have no idea what the licensing details for any of the libraries that mantis integration required.... We could be in violation of something right now... you know.. other than being an unauthorized Magic application....

Nantuko,
Mantis was the only bugtracker I found with Eclipse integration AND didn't require significant installation effort. I created a database and user from the webhosting control panel, unzipped a ton of PHP files, ran an install script and Mantis was ready. They recommend disabling the admin user and creating your own, so I did that. I also created a regular user for myself, an anonymous user so that issues can be viewed without login and a dummy user that would be used by Forge.

The MantisConnect sourceforge downloads area has a java library package. It contains the mantisconnect library plus a bunch of others that it claims to require, but I was able to pare it down a bit by using Maven's dependency search to add libraries based on the exception errors caused by the missing library. I started with a very simple test, to figure out the minimum required libraries and the minimum required data and lines of code to simply post a bug.

Then I used Eclipse's WindowBuilder to design the report form. I then added the code to the initialization process to check the preferences for saved user names, connect to mantis to pull down category lists and version numbers. I then added the code behind the Report button, expanding on the test code to include more fields and to match the categories with the specialized objects they use to hold such data.

The hardest part about using MantisConnect is that the documentation is quite poor. Almost nothing of use comes up in google searching for example code. I had to guess that the MCSession object was the central part of the magic, then all the other objects they provide are expected in one input or output or another.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 04 Aug 2011, 16:16

Rob Cashwalker wrote:Then I used Eclipse's WindowBuilder to design the report form. I then added the code to the initialization process to check the preferences for saved user names, connect to mantis to pull down category lists and version numbers. I then added the code behind the Report button, expanding on the test code to include more fields and to match the categories with the specialized objects they use to hold such data.
`
Nice looking form. Good job.

I hope that we get some use out of it, but not too much. :wink:
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 04 Aug 2011, 21:13

I recently pulled a commit that changed the src code path. I lost the commands that were listed in the Run menu. I now only have External Tools listed.

I can right click on the ForgeGIT project and from there I can choose the Run as or the Debug As menu command and then choose to run as a java application. But I get an error that

Code: Select all
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: forge/Gui_NewGame
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: forge.Gui_NewGame
`
If I right click on the ForgeGIT project and from there choose Run as -> Run Configurations... I can get access to the Main class: textbox but

forge.Gui_NewGame
`
will no longer work.

What do I need to do?
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby jendave » 04 Aug 2011, 21:18

Chris H. wrote:I recently pulled a commit that changed the src code path. I lost the commands that were listed in the Run menu. I now only have External Tools listed.

I can right click on the ForgeGIT project and from there I can choose the Run as or the Debug As menu command. But I get an error that

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: forge/Gui_NewGame
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: forge.Gui_NewGame
`
If I right click on the ForgeGIT project and from there choose Run as -> Run Configurations... I can get access to the Main class: textbox but

forge.Gui_NewGame
`
will no longer work.

What do I need to do?
Do another git pull the do a "File - Refresh". That worked for me.
jendave

PreviousNext

Return to Developer's Corner