It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:07

Text Size

Cardset Editor

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Cardset Editor

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 15 Jan 2009, 04:42

First beta release of my much anticipated MTGForge Cardset Editor.

DO NOT Download here
http://minstrelplayers.org/ForgeCSE/Set ... Editor.zip

Features include:
- Primary function is to modify card rarity and frequency for sealed and draft mode.
- Attempts to display the card picture, if already downloaded by MTGForge.
- Allows user to modify the card-pictures.txt URL for any card.
- A search button will launch a search in the default browser, based on a configured search URL (gatherer is default)
- The card text can be modified.. just in case you notice a typo... it was a "why-not?" feature....
- All cardset data can be saved as individual profiles... want to play Time Spiral limited? No problem, just load up a profile with Time Spiral cards being the only ones with rarities defined.... This will become more useful when we can actually add the majority of cards in a given block... without having to exclude many of them because the AI can't deal with them... but whatever.

Bugs:
!! Clicking on the grid inadvertently causes the checkbox click event to fire, which changed the card rarities behind the scenes. What's worse, is the wrong card gets changed.

Planned features:
- Track cards from previous session, to detect card additions between versions.
- Add and Delete cards entirely.
- Integrate with my other project, the mini text card picture generator. (I'm doing this first, because it forces me to revise the cards.txt interpreter to pull the additional properties for other features)
- Card picture downloader.
+ Resizable window.
+ Keyboard navigation in grid.
+ Additional card property columns / filtering
+ card list filtering

How to use:
- Browse to your MTG Folder (Location will be remembered between sessions)
- Change some data
- - Double-click the Card-Picture URL label to pop up an input box for the search URL (URL will be remembered between sessions)
- - Double-click the Card text textbox to edit it
- Type a profile name
- Save the profile
- Save the data

All prior files are renamed, so all changes can be reverted easily.

Visual Basic 6.0 source code here:
http://minstrelplayers.org/ForgeCSE/Sou ... Editor.zip
Last edited by Rob Cashwalker on 22 Jan 2009, 03:16, edited 3 times in total.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Re: Cardset Editor

Postby DennisBergkamp » 15 Jan 2009, 04:47

Rob,

Hey this looks awesome! I'm gonna try this out right away.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby GandoTheBard » 15 Jan 2009, 04:54

Ah the much anticipated program arrives! *downloads with glee* Ill post comments tommorow.
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby DennisBergkamp » 15 Jan 2009, 16:59

Rob,

This program is awesome. Cards that appear in red don't have pictures associated with them in card-pictures.txt I take it?
Anyway, great job =D>
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 15 Jan 2009, 19:30

Oh.. yeah, forgot about mentioning that feature....

Yes, cards marked in red are missing a URL. Klaas, Elf Friend, for example.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby mtgrares » 15 Jan 2009, 19:44

Sounds great, thanks.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 15 Jan 2009, 20:21

Ohh.. I like being stuck at the top!
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby GandoTheBard » 15 Jan 2009, 22:08

Ok first comment is...I want to be able to clear large swaths of card rarities at once...is this possible in anyway? Also Is it possible to give it about say 3x the real estate it occupies now. I am not fond of having to super scroll through tiny clients. Even 2x would be ok. particularly also it needs to be wider by a bit so that names do not get squished.

Sol'kanar Swamp King was also marked in red...? Seems like it should have a pic :P
Another thing is ...would it be possible to specify where on the user's machine to find the card art?

Again Rob, thank you for the effort. :D Even as is it should make sorting the rarities much easier...and the cards.txt editing capability is a big ++.

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 16 Jan 2009, 17:43

I loaded up the latest release, and figured out why the top 20 cards weren't recognized as having URLs - (including Sol'Kanar) the lines weren't terminated by Carriage Return/Line Feed. They must have been edited on a Mac or other Linux-based system with Line Feeds only. MTGForge doesn't seem to have a problem with it, it downloaded everything anyway.

VB's Line Input statement uses either just the CR or the CR/LF sequence. I wish it would also accept just line feeds.

The original files are all CR/LF line-terminated, and I think future updates need to stick to this standard.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby DennisBergkamp » 16 Jan 2009, 17:50

Yeah Chris H. edits them on a mac. Whenever I release a new beta, I do a find/replace and change all of them to CR/LF.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby GandoTheBard » 16 Jan 2009, 19:00

Browse to your MTG Folder (Location will be remembered between sessions) this does not seem to be the case...I will post again if I am in error.

Ok it turns out I am wrong however I noticed something odd. The load profile function turns off the redness. Not sure if this is intended. Also the redness stays normally if there is no url listed in the url box...but the image is there. It seems to me to be desirable for it to not be red if you already have the image.

I wish there was a way to indicate newer cards without the redness because that doesn't really help when the card does have a url. Me being silly I guess.

GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby mtgrares » 20 Jan 2009, 21:15

Creating a new set takes alot of work, MTG Forge has too many cards lol. It would be cool if your program broke down the card rarity by color. How many green, white, red, blue, black cards are common, uncommon, and rare? I know the output would just be a table of numbers, but it would be useful. That way I could make a balanced, small 150 card set. (The idea is to make a balanced small set and then add more cards to it.)

And feel free to post your new set of cards, post the common.txt, uncommon.txt, and rare.txt files so people can easily try it out.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 20 Jan 2009, 21:50

Yes, it would be cool to break it down better. As it is now, the cards are only represented as the plain text in cards.txt, which I'm finding as I try to integrate the card picture generator isn't good enough. The card picture generator actually interpreted the cards.txt enough to extract the name, mana cost, type and p/t. I hadn't included that in the editor, but I will.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby GandoTheBard » 21 Jan 2009, 02:50

One thing that really needs to be done is to add a column of checkboxes to include or disinclude a card. As it is you have to type in "1" or "0" for each card you want to change. A simple toggle is better and less work intensive. The key functionality of this program should be to make it easier to create rarity files. :)

Another thing is that the Rarity columns need to have radio buttons not check boxes since the Rarity is supposed to be boolean. (Rare is not common or uncommon etc...)
Last edited by GandoTheBard on 21 Jan 2009, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.

GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 21 Jan 2009, 03:00

I originally had something to that effect. However it didn't make a lot of sense to me, because it's really just a matter of unchecking the rarity - the count only has meaning if a rarity is selected. And there's nothing stopping you from checking off more than one rarity.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Next

Return to Forge