It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 23:46

Text Size

Java Exe

by Nate

Moderators: Snacko, CCGHQ Admins

Java Exe

Postby mtgrares » 13 Feb 2009, 16:18

Hi, great program, I love seeing other Magic projects that use Java. I use your program more as a card lookup since I do most of my stuff offline. I'm the author of MTG Forge, mtgrares.blogspot.com, and I was wondering what program do you use to generate the exe that runs the jar file? Your exe is very small. Right now I'm using JSmooth but the exe files it generates are around 400kb, not huge, but it could be better.

I also like the layout manager you use since you can resize the different components. What layout manager do you use, because I really need to use it for my project.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Re: Java Exe

Postby Snacko » 13 Feb 2009, 16:41

I'm using launch4j for the exe generation. It's mostly java based and can be easily adopted into an ant project.
Other nifty thing about it is that it can hide the java process under the exe name.

It used to be a custom MultiSplitLayout (2.x versions) but now it uses GridBagLayout.
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Re: Java Exe

Postby Nate » 14 Feb 2009, 09:25

Interesting, I'll have to check out how you did it with GridBagLayout. I usually use a visual GUI tool to lay things out and gridbag for everything, it is just a pain to touch by hand. Since Arcane I have needed a similar nested splitpane layout and I wasn't satisfied with the MultiSplitPane stuff. I came up with a simple method to walk the component hierarchy and store and load the splitpane split locations.
Nate
DEVELOPER

Return to Deck Builder and Excellent Rules Viewer