It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:26

Text Size

Request for a definitive answer!

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Request for a definitive answer!

Postby Dragoni noir » 25 Apr 2019, 12:15

Hi all,

Lurked for a while, but always had a working version of Magic which scratched both my Shandalar and Multiplayer itches!

Time passes, new computer, lost install files (RIP Korath's updates) and recently fancied getting back into it. Been in touch with Korath himself (mega friendly and helpful) who guided me through all the different releases and development projects to find one which is still available.

Managed to get the 2010 iso version installed in Win10 and multiplayer/manalink working (with some bugs). However I cannot get Shandalar (nor the MTGlauncher, incidentally) to run. Similar problems to others, black screen for a second, then back to a 1024x768 desktop.

I've tried all sorts of compatibility modes/run as admin/folder permissions/clean boot without success, but without an error message, it's hard to know why it's not working.

So I just wanted to ask the knowledgebase here if anyone knows a way to get this running as of April 2019 except running a VM? Or is it a pipe dream for the time being?

Running Win 10 Home Version 1809, OS build 17763.437 on a MSI GS65-8RF.

Thanks
Dragoni noir

Re: Request for a definitive answer!

Postby Gibberish » 27 Apr 2019, 22:20

I am not sure what your issue is. Mine installs. I killed the program, open folder, make a short cut of the shandalar icon onto my desktop (the skull) and launch jsut fine. If I use the MTG link I get errors or the icon in tool bar, so I only use the short cut icon
Gibberish

Postby Dragoni noir » 04 May 2019, 15:52

Thanks for the reply. I can only assume there is something about my OS or other installed software/drivers that Shandalar doesnt like...
Dragoni noir

Postby gnomefry » 06 May 2019, 16:34

Hi, Dragoni. Your description of the symptoms reminds me of what I see if I try to run Shandalar without excluding it from Windows 10 DEP. Have you done that?

To check, go Control Panel -> System -> System Protection -> (select tab for Advanced) -> Performance Settings -> (select tab for Data Execution Prevention) -> Choose 'Turn on DEP for Essential Windows Programs and Services Only' -> OK. (May prompt you to reboot)

If that allows the game to run, you have the alternate option of turning full DEP back on and excluding just the Shandalar folder *.EXEs.
gnomefry
Tester

Postby Dragoni noir » 04 Aug 2019, 19:49

Hey, thanks for the response. I haven't checked back in a while as I got things running (albeit horribly) via a VM. I will give this a go and report back.

EDIT: You, Sir, are a true Wizard! Now working, thank you so much!

EDIT 2: Well, actually, sort of. I miraculously managed to find an old flash drive with, amongst other things, my old 2015 folder. I can get Shandalar working nicely when DEP is off, but Magic/Manalink won't open. I did have it at one point where Manalink WOULD open, but Magic doesnt, so you cant insigate a duel with a connected opponent.

I can now use the 2010 version fully, though the resolution is off in Shandalar (due to the program not changing my output resolution), and the player avatar being a bit screwy, but I can live with that.

Duelling my wife with the 2015 version would, however be the absolute prize here!

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.
Dragoni noir

Postby gnomefry » 06 Aug 2019, 18:05

Glad that was helpful!

I suggest you maintain your Shandalar and Manalink-Duels as separate installs in separate folders. That's what I do. Particularly if you have a working install of one of the (now-yanked) 2015 Shandalars. You can rename the folder to Shandalar, update your launch shortcuts and keep it as its own thing.

Then you can get the 2015 Fates Reforged Manalink and install that to its own /Manalink_FR folder. Download and instructions here:

https://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=16964
gnomefry
Tester

Return to Shandalar