It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 23:14

Text Size

Newbie Terminology and Helpful Links

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Newbie Terminology and Helpful Links

Postby steve » 15 Dec 2010, 05:17

Hello,

I'm a noob to these forums (although I've been lurking for a year or two, mostly in the lands of Shandalar). First of all, fantastic work to all you hobbyists and coders - thanks for making a good game into a great one, with much improved replay value.

As I bumble around trying to download stuff and figure how to get started on my first Black Knight, I find it's really hard for a noob to find a "big picture" summary of what's going on, starting with terminology. I was thinking this thread could help others nail down some noob-ish questions in one place so the other threads are more meaningful. Apparently there's over 5000 members now, so it seems like things should be more clear to newcomers.

Personally, I'd like to ask a few (dumb?) questions. :oops:

1) What is DLC (downloadable content) - is it released from Wizards, is it made only by community members, do you have to pay for it? Do kevlahnotah's DLC mods contain all approved DLC up to their release date? Are they contingent on something from Wizards?

2) What is SVN? Why do I need it? I understand how to install it (http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/COMMUNITY_DLC_Tutorial_-_Setup_Tortoise_SVN and http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/COMMUNITY_DLC_Tutorial_-_Setup_Tortoise_SVN)...but what and why?

3) Is there a place I can come back to after a month or two and see any large-scale updates that have been made?

Thanks guys and gals for any help, I feel like I'm missing a few big pieces of the picture. :cry: 8-[
steve

Re: Newbie Terminology and Helpful Links

Postby steve » 15 Dec 2010, 05:19

Back again - also as people download and test stuff, where do our results go? Do coders want us to report bugs or suggest stuff?

On that note, how can we normal folk help out you coders in the trenches?
steve

Postby Huggybaby » 20 Dec 2010, 18:05

Please see the new guide at viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3745 and let us know if any of your questions are not addressed there. Thanks. :)
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby steve » 22 Dec 2010, 04:34

Oh man that looks great! Thanks I will have a read and continue my bumblings.
steve

Postby Salbei » 09 Feb 2011, 00:24

Recently stumbled upon this and pretty much got the same question about DLCs.

It is a bit confusing for me.
So i download DOTP and then the patchers will take care of the missing DLCs ? Or do i have to "find" them elsewhere ?
Retired a long time ago. I will not reply.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers