It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:51

Text Size

problems with the custom DLC

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

problems with the custom DLC

Postby vegeta3sdm » 18 May 2012, 11:34

Hey everyone, I'm new to the DotP game.I have the SKIDROW version and that has worked perfectly. I beat the game and I was interested in getting new cards etc. I downloaded The custom DLC MOD2 Patch torrent and it contained several folders and applications. I ran the app titled "MTG_DOTP_CUSTOM_DLC_MOD2" and followed the instructions that said to place it in the DotP folder, like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Wizards of the Coast LLC\Magic The Gathering DOTP 2012"

I then copied the patch titled "MTG_DOTP_CUSTOM_DLC_MOD_2_PATCH 1" into the same folder as mentioned above but I get a message saying "software not found... duels of the planeswalker custom DLC MOD 2 could not be located on your system" and then it tells me to reinstall.

I notice in the instructions it also said:

"1) You must have a fully updated Duels of the Planeswalkers with DLC 1, 2 and 3 installed. Yes, you need all three DLC's."

I don't have any DLC other than the custom set I just downloaded. Am I missing something here? I cannot find these DLC's anywhere.

Can someone please help me get my DotP up to speed? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
vegeta3sdm

Re: problems with the custom DLC

Postby thefiremind » 18 May 2012, 14:46

I didn't try, but I think that the torrent you downloaded contains mods for the original DotP game, while it seems that you have DotP 2012, so it isn't compatible. In general, don't bother mods that don't specify "2012" explicitly because it's highly possible that they are made for the original game.

If you are searching for DotP 2012 mods, I'll give you some links:
Kevlahnota's mod: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=6057
Persee's mod: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=6170
Eglin's mod: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=6564
Sadlyblue's mod: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=6367
...and my mod: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=6750
I'd suggest you to wait a couple of days before downloading my mod, I'm almost done with a big update. :wink:
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby drleg3nd » 18 May 2012, 17:22

hey firemind i have a problem i tried to play custom games but the decks become stuck and unable to play,what can i do ? i am also new to this
drleg3nd

Postby vegeta3sdm » 18 May 2012, 18:02

@ thefiremind ,

That makes a ton of sense lol. I never stopped to think that there was a difference between DotP and DotP 2012. However, I DO have the 2012 version. I will check out those links you sent me now.

Also, can you keep me posted on your update?

Thanks man :)
vegeta3sdm

Postby thefiremind » 18 May 2012, 18:07

drleg3nd wrote:hey firemind i have a problem i tried to play custom games but the decks become stuck and unable to play,what can i do ? i am also new to this
I'd like to help, but your description is vague and it's hard to tell what's going on.

Which mods did you install? Your first message is on kevlahnota's topic so I guess you installed his mod. In the same topic someone complained about problems with his new executable. Make a copy of the Magic_2012.exe that you are using at the moment (just to be safe), then substitute the original with the one that you can find here:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=6185
It enables a secret menu that contains some buggy tests but you can ignore it: the important thing is to discover if your problem is in the executable.

vegeta3sdm wrote:@ thefiremind ,

That makes a ton of sense lol. I never stopped to think that there was a difference between DotP and DotP 2012. However, I DO have the 2012 version. I will check out those links you sent me now.

Also, can you keep me posted on your update?

Thanks man :)
Don't worry, I'll post a message on my topic when the update is ready. :wink:
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby vegeta3sdm » 18 May 2012, 18:22

I tried downloading your mod but the link keeps bringing me to some type of download manager called "ilivid" and it keeps trying to get me to install software. Its not letting me access the file directly. Any other way I can get it perhaps?

Thanks.
vegeta3sdm

Postby vegeta3sdm » 18 May 2012, 18:34

You are correct, I did download kevlanota's mod. The name of the application within the folder is "MTG_DOTP_CUSTOM_DLC_MOD2" and then there are three separate patches as well.

I installed it and it added some files like:

data_DLC_0005.wad, data_DLC_0006.wad, data_DLC_0007.wad.

The instructions say to run the patches, so I did that. However, it said that MTG_DOTP_CUSTOM_DLC_MOD2 is not present on my computer. Which is what I supposedly installed. Not sure what's going on.

Thank you for all of your help.
vegeta3sdm

Postby drleg3nd » 18 May 2012, 19:43

You are right i am using kev exe, when i go to custom games and try to switch the deck for the AI or even myself it becomes stuck and will not move. I tried using casper exe but only deck wad that contain turbofog(cant remember if its yours or elgin's) shows up and everything else is locked.also kev explained that if you go to deck manager you should be able to unlock cards for original deck and use foil but it does not work either.when i get home i will try link you sent but let me know if you have a better understanding of my issue. Thank you for the quick response
drleg3nd

Postby thefiremind » 18 May 2012, 21:06

vegeta3sdm wrote:You are correct, I did download kevlanota's mod. The name of the application within the folder is "MTG_DOTP_CUSTOM_DLC_MOD2" and then there are three separate patches as well.

I installed it and it added some files like:

data_DLC_0005.wad, data_DLC_0006.wad, data_DLC_0007.wad.

The instructions say to run the patches, so I did that. However, it said that MTG_DOTP_CUSTOM_DLC_MOD2 is not present on my computer. Which is what I supposedly installed. Not sure what's going on.

Thank you for all of your help.
I was actually asking to drleg3nd when I mentioned kev's mod, anyway your problem is just incompatibility between DotP2012 and the mods made for old DotP. Delete that torrent and try some of the new mods.

vegeta3sdm wrote:I tried downloading your mod but the link keeps bringing me to some type of download manager called "ilivid" and it keeps trying to get me to install software. Its not letting me access the file directly. Any other way I can get it perhaps?

Thanks.
There seems to be a problem with my link at the moment, I can't open it at all, while you were probably redirected to some other site. I'll update the link as soon as I complete the update of my mod.

drleg3nd wrote:You are right i am using kev exe, when i go to custom games and try to switch the deck for the AI or even myself it becomes stuck and will not move. I tried using casper exe but only deck wad that contain turbofog(cant remember if its yours or elgin's) shows up and everything else is locked.also kev explained that if you go to deck manager you should be able to unlock cards for original deck and use foil but it does not work either.when i get home i will try link you sent but let me know if you have a better understanding of my issue. Thank you for the quick response
I still think that the problem is about how the executable has been modified to allow custom mods. There's more than one version around the net and I'm afraid that this makes the mods incompatible one with another, and some mods are even incompatible with some versions of the game. I don't know if there's an easy solution to that, but I'm sure it would be very hard if I had to find it all by myself.
Try with the exe in the topic I linked and see what happens.
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby vegeta3sdm » 18 May 2012, 23:18

@ thefiremind ,

thanks again for all your help man. I downloaded the mods you suggested and they worked. I now have way more decks. I read somewhere that there was a way to edit your own decks? can you maybe explain to me how this is done?

thanks

update to my problem. I can't seem to actually play with the decks. I can view them in deck edit mode but my campaign mode is just a blank screen and i cannot access the decks in custom game either. I think I am just completely lost on this modding business. If you wouldn't mind giving me a step by step on how to actually install this stuff and use it properly that would be great.
vegeta3sdm

Postby drleg3nd » 19 May 2012, 04:00

ok firemind i used the link you sent me and i am still having the same problem. in custom games i cant switch decks because of freezing.on the plus side i can unlock the decks in deck manager..anymore ideas or any other exe ?
drleg3nd

Postby thefiremind » 19 May 2012, 09:37

vegeta3sdm wrote:I read somewhere that there was a way to edit your own decks? can you maybe explain to me how this is done?
If you want to make your own decks I suggest to start with:
1) Deck Editor Revised: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=5369
This tool packs/unpacks DLC's and allows you to make custom DLC's with ease. You can make a custom DLC even without knowing anything about programming cards: just let it unpack all the cards in the DLC's you have, then create a new DLC, a new deck in it, and finally add the cards.
2) Casper's custom content: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=5076
If you take Data_DLC_1111.wad from this pack, you have an almost empty DLC that you can fill with your own decks. This makes starting a bit easier.

@ both vegeta3sdm and drleg3nd:
About the problem you both have, I have come to a conclusion: it all started with kevlahnota's new DLC. Since it's very unlikely that the DLC itself can screw everything like this, it must be because of the other files he included. We can exclude the executable since the problem persists with another one. Looking at what Aarala wrote in kev's topic:
Aarala wrote:When I copied the new exe I made sure to keep the previous files that were newer (do not replace) and I had no issues with Persee's, Firemind's or Eglin's decks. The 'newer' files were app.id, misty_api.dll and Rank.dll from the previous 1.2 version. Since I'm not a programmer I have no idea if any of that will cause problems later but it seems to be working just fine.
it seems that the problem could be in one of those other files.

Try to substitute the files you have in DotP2012 directory with the ones I attached here, and let me know if it works:
Attachments
m12.zip
A possible fix
(55.79 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby Eglin » 19 May 2012, 14:10

Eglin
Programmer

Postby vegeta3sdm » 20 May 2012, 08:03

I think my main issue with modding in general is I cannot seem to find Data_DLC_0001 - 0004. I am missing all of these files. Especially data_DLC_0004, it seems like this is an important one as it is in all instructions. I have no idea where to get it. Can anyone provide this?

thanks
vegeta3sdm

Postby thefiremind » 20 May 2012, 08:41

vegeta3sdm wrote:I think my main issue with modding in general is I cannot seem to find Data_DLC_0001 - 0004. I am missing all of these files. Especially data_DLC_0004, it seems like this is an important one as it is in all instructions. I have no idea where to get it. Can anyone provide this?

thanks
Data_DLC_0001 is the "Ascend into Darkness" expansion, while 0002-0004 are the deck packs (in some versions they are all condensed in 0004 alone). About how to get them... if you own the original game, you should buy them! If not... then how did you find a version that didn't include them already? Even the most recent links should be dead by now... :?
thefiremind
Programmer

Next

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers